Sunday, June 24, 2012

My Own Personal Season of Survival

I stayed in town at Kara's to help her and take care of the kids.  Her linens must be done each time because of the chance of infection and then there is laundry for six people.  Giving Kara a shower takes two of us over an hour.  She has a special garment to wear and getting that back on with her drains and all is a real challenge.  But we are getting done what needs to be done.

I dressed and put on some make-up for Ally's party.  We had already given her a gift when we first arrived in Michigan.  Things were in great shape and all I did was make up bowls of taco chips and salsa plus putting cheese slices and crackers on trays. They had chalk on the patio for people to write greetings.  I wrote "You Are Our Shining Star."  There were two poster boards of her awards and many years of dance photos.  The center one was an 8 x 10 that Larry just took where she is airborne with her legs outstretched in mid-flight.  It is a great shot.

A tent and gazebo were set up outside with six large tables for everyone to sit at.  I know some of Pat's relatives and a few of their neighbors from our years here in Michigan.  I introduced myself to their friends that were new to me.  Lots of kids came and had a great time dancing to the DJ.  Ally's dance instructor came with her family and was thrilled with the shots Larry had taken at the recital.

After the constant up and down of the stairs at Kara's and the in and out getting the tables set and then things brought in at Kelly's, the only thing not hurting Friday night was my eyelashes!  I came home and took two ibuprofen plus rubbed Flexall on my lower back and fell into bed.  I really needed a day or two of rest.  The old, gray mare, she ain't what she used to be.

I took it easy Saturday.  Ted went shooting and we went to church.  We ate hot roast beef sandwiches for dinner from the beef we brought home from Kelly's.  Then we sat outside around the fire.  Today we are going in for Sam's ballgame and tomorrow Allen goes to Columbus so we will be there from Monday morning until Tuesday night.  Kara is getting up by herself now and walking around a bit so little by little she is getting her strength back.  The doctor removed her pain pump and two of her four drains on Friday so she is making good progress.  All the incisions look great with no sign of infection or not healing properly.

Larry has not emailed me any of the photos he took.  I haven't taken many because he has such a great camera compared to mine but here are a few I did take.

Ally receiving her diploma (off the Jumbotron).


With Grandma and Grandpa


Ally's family


After the dance recital with the flowers Grandpa brought her.


Our four grandchildren


A dancing couple atop a new fountain in Frankenmuth


One of the many flower baskets that line Main Street in Frankenmuth.


For now, in the words of Woody Woodpecker, That's All Folks!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Congratulations to Ally! I'm so happy that Kara is doing better! Take care!
BTW - if things go well with Lorelai Dan and I are talking about going up to MI for a couple of weeks right after the 4th.