Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Disney Daze


Our airport shuffle worked perfectly. I parked the car in the airport garage and left Ted a voice mail as to where it was. He actually walked past the gate as they were pushing my plane out. He found the car with no problem.

When I landed in Detroit I received a message from Kara saying they were at Chili's. I texted back to order me a quesidilla. It was waiting for me when I arrived. The kids didn't seem surprised to see me at the Detroit airport and asked if I was coming to Disney with them. They still don't understand the concept of time and distance because we see them so often.

We sat all in a row and had a nice flight to Orlando. Allen picked up the rental car and we proceeded to Old Key West Resort. He took the luggage and kids inside while Kara and I drove to Gooding's to get some drinks for the refrigerator and a few snacks. She then took me to the Doubletree at Downtown Disney and helped me to my suite. We made plans for them to pick me up at 7:30 the next morning.

And there I was, bright and early, (6:30 Houston time!!) dressed in my Star Wars Granny shirt to match their Daddy, Mommy, Sam and Morgan shirts. This was Star Wars weekend at Hollywood Studios and the reason they made this trip for Sam's and Morgan's birthdays.



I don't know anything about Star Wars or Clone Wars so I was pretty much just along for the ride. Here is Morgan with Darth Vader and Sam with Captain Rex (I think!).



We did several things in the park including meeting up with two other fathers and sons that are friends of Kara and Allen. We spent some time with them, having lunch and watching the parade. Then we parted company to do some other things in the park. Kristin joined us after work at Wolfgang Puck's in Downtown Disney for dinner. We topped that off with ice cream from Ghirardelli.



Kristin and I went back to the Doubletree in her car. She was impressed with the suite we had. She had five days off work so this was going to be a nice little vacation for her. We were instructed to wear our red shirts to Epcot the next day and to leave the hotel at 8:00 a.m. We had a comfortable night in our suite and left the next morning right on time. We pulled in four cars from Allen and walked to the turnstiles to await another big day. I'll tell you about that tomorrow!

3 comments:

Kara said...

Sam was totally surprised!! I think it is funny that we'd see you in the airport and they didn't get that you were coming to Disney but maybe staying in Michigan instead. They were so happy to have their Grandma with them!

Carol said...

Sounds like everything worked out for you and the family. Glad you had a great time and I can't wait to read all about the rest of the adventure tomorrow!

Barbara said...

Love the shirts!