Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Countdown Begins

In less than a week, we will be moving out and Chris will be moving in. Our only problem initially is the bed he sleeps in is covered with gifts, goody bags and coolers! We intend to take the RV to Rayford on Friday and then go back and forth getting loaded up. Susan and Tommy are at the campground and we're anxious to spend the weekend with them.

We can open the slides and put things in the drawers, cabinets and closets where they belong. That will leave the back seat of the truck and the couch to handle all the gifts and bags we need to take to the reunion. Thankfully we will unload it all when we get to Pigeon Forge. Chris will just have to adapt for a night or two. His parents have their house for sale but he said he still wants to be our housesitter even when they move away. They are looking just a few miles from here so it won't be a big deal.

We hit 100 attendees for the reunion - 80 adults (age 13 and up), 14 children (4-12) and 6 infants. Ted and I did all the name tags last week. I typed and cut them and he put them in the plastic holders. Once we get to Tennessee, we'll fill the bags, then put the name tags with them and load up the shirts that go with each family. Luckily, my nephew Ed is bringing the shirts in on Thursday so we can get this accomplished before everyone starts arriving on Friday.

I didn't have a real busy week. I played Canasta on Monday and met Ann on Tuesday for lunch. She gave me three Bed, Bath & Beyond coupons to use for the wedding present I was buying. You can use one on each item and I bought six pieces of china. With the two coupons I had, I saved $46! Love those coupons. I was bummed I didn't have that sixth one and when I came home, there was one in the mail!

Thursday was our neighborhood ladies' luncheon. We went to the Red Phoenix. Ted had gone to the men's luncheon on Wednesday. They ate at the new Spring Creek BBQ. Wow, just what we needed, one more BBQ restaurant. The only thing better would be a new Mexican restaurant. Are you reading my sarcasm font here?

I forgot to mention in my prayer request that my neighbor has breast cancer that has returned to her spine. The chemo treatments just wipe her out and she has really cut back on her activities. She is normally so active she makes me look as if I'm standing still! There is colon surgery scheduled for 6/23 and breast surgery scheduled for 6/28 on two of those on my list. I always pray for the doctor's too because their guidance by Divine Providence is so important.

Friday I learned how to play Shanghai. I understood the concept of the game right away - I just didn't get any cards. You have to collect books (same card) and runs (1-2-3 same suit) in six different sequences. At one time I had the 8 and 10 of every suit and couldn't beg, borrow or steal a 9 anywhere! I think I'm going to add this game to my favorite charity along with Canasta and bunco! We never play for much and it is a lot of fun so I'm more than willing to lose a few dollars for an afternoon of enjoyment and good company.

We are going to Mass at 5 p.m. and then there is a spaghetti dinner in honor of St. Anthony's feast day. It is free and advertised as a take out meal with limited seating on site. We'll try to eat there but if that isn't possible, we'll just bring it home. We've rented The King's Speech to watch tonight. It was one of those movies we wanted to see and it just got away from us.

There probably won't be much to write about until we hit the road. First stop Texarkana, then Memphis, then Crossville, TN and by Wednesday - Pine Mountain RV Park in Pigeon Forge. I sure hope we have good weather for the reunion weekend.

Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one. ~ Jane Howard

1 comment:

Carol said...

I know that you are looking forward to cooler weather - if all goes as planned we MIGHT be looking at a small camper after all the remodeling is finished. (Once camping is in the blood, you just can't get it out!). I hope you have great weather for your reunion and have safe travels!