Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Party's Over - Almost

Thursday we just hung out at the campground.  It was nice to relax, play some board games, build a fire, etc. with no agenda to attend to.

Friday we came into town for the rehearsal and luncheon.  There were about 20 of us in all.  All I had to remember was to start walking when Marilyn and Dave were out of camera range, walk to the left to join Marilyn when the Unity Candle ceremony started and to start the procession out after Kara and Bill rang the church bell for dismissal.

Our lunch was at Kona Grill.  It is a sushi bar but has a very good varied menu besides.  When lunch was over we took the kids home while Kara went to pick up her dress.  It was about 7:00 when we returned to the campground.

We were up and out early Saturday for a hair appointment at 8:30.  That didn't take long and we came to Kara's for make-up and to get dressed.  Ted had to help Sam and had to tie his tie for him.

It was cloudy and showers threatened but we were in luck for the time being.  The ceremony was beautiful.  It was held at the church in the Troy Historical Village.  Built in 1837 by Presbyterians, it was sold to the Methodists in 1860 and was used until about 2000 when it was moved to the Village.  

Kara compiled the whole thing into a program so everyone could follow along. The Catholic deacon and Presbyterian minister were so complimentary on the thought and planning Kara and Bill had put into making it all about faith and family.  

I have only a few photos I have pulled off Facebook since I was in no position to take any.  I will share more as they become available.

There was a tent on the Village Green where light refreshments were served.  It rained a little but within an hour everyone had left for the restaurant for lunch so it didn't cause much of a problem.

The place cards turned out well and Morgan made good use of the acrylic frame by visiting the photo booth 21 times!  It was rented from Morgan's teacher's husband and she came to run it so she could see Morgan!

Lunch was served in courses and consisted of soup, salad, pasta with meat sauce, chicken, roasted potatoes, broccoli and cannolis as well as wedding cake.  Even though it was an afternoon affair the open bar got a workout!  When we left there was still one table of folks.  I told Kara not to worry about them.  Once they realized the bar was closed they would leave too!

We came home for Kara to have her hair and make-up refreshed.  All the rose boutonnieres were limp so I took apart one of the table arrangements and made three new ones.   My kids didn't know I had all these hidden talents!

Then we went to a park for family pictures that we had not had time to take.  Everyone was so tired, especially Larry and Kristin who did the photography.  I was so-o-o glad to get back to Kara's with the kids.  She and Bill spent the night at a hotel and will meet us at church this morning.  She has invited the family over to eat and watch them open their gifts.  

We will return to the campground tonight and come back in tomorrow to return the rental items and linens.  Kara, Bill, Sam and Morgan all leave for Disney at 6 am.  

After that it is time for us to button up to hit the road on Tuesday.

The real act of marriage takes place in the heart, not in the ballroom or church or synagogue. It's a choice you make - not just on your wedding day, but over and over again - and that choice is reflected in the way you treat your husband or wife.  ~ Barbara de Angelis


No comments: