Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday - Take Your Pick

No one down here plays cards that we've found other than the Pokeeno game held at the clubhouse one evening. There were 90 people and they play 3 games at a nickel, 3 at a dime, 3 at a quarter and 1 at a dollar. Ted won a game - the nickel one and had to share it with another winner. Now I have 45 nickels mixed in with my laundry quarters!

The weather has been fantastic and spring is definitely here. While waiting for the Mardi Gras parade last night I took some photos of the flowers that are blooming.




The birds are starting their return to the north and chatter all day long. I haven't seen any butterflies yet however.

Here are some photos of some of our friends who rode bikes in the parade.




Karen goes all out and what she wears, Smoki wears.


The little dog never even barks. She just wears her hats, glasses, outfits and gets toted around in a carrier that always matches the outfits. It's a hoot.


We all gathered at the palapa (tiki hut) after the parade for dinner and Margaritas. Ted had some beer and I stuck to Sprite Zero. There were three different red beans and rice (the only Louisiana cuisine present) so I was pleased when my 6 quart crockpot was half emptied. I had 2 lbs. of sausage in mine and I think they were after the meat versus the other two.

There wasn't a Cajun in the crowd based on the menu. Pasta salad and hamburgers just don't cut it at a Mardi Gras party but no one else seemed to notice. Even the king cake was a yellow cake and the top was covered in stripes of green/purple/gold. Instead of a baby Jesus, Pat had put a piece of candy for someone to find. Karen got that piece and has to hostess the party next year. She asked me what a real King Cake should look like. I told her HEB sells a very nice one. They look like coffee cakes with a cream filling, sprinkled with green/gold/purple sugar. The Louisiana food and customs just aren't known up north I guess.

Today Ted is going shooting and I'm not sure what else we'll do. The days seem to fill themselves.

'Laissez les bons temps rouler!' ~ Let the good times roll

No comments: