Monday, June 29, 2015

Long Days of Touring

We were up and out by 8:45 Monday heading to the Louisville Slugger factory.  We spent time in the museum area until our tour time was called.  We had the best tour guide who was funny, knowledgeable and so kind to the children making sure they were always in front to be able to see.  After the museum and tour we spent a little more time in another area until the film was played again.  On our way out we received a miniature Louisville Slugger bat.  So now we have four!

It is hard to see but in the stripes, all the names appear.

From there we went to the Colonel Sanders Museum at the Yum headquarters.  He had an interesting life and was certainly a self-made man who had to reinvent himself at age 65.  They had a remarkably life like mannekin who talked to you when you first enter.  He even made eye contact!  

Our next stop was Locust Grove, historic home to Wm. and Lucy Croghan, sister to Geo. Rogers Clark who founded Louisville and captured the Northwest Territory from the British.  Their other brother was William Clark of Lewis and Clark exploration fame.

The house was built in 1790 on 55 acres.  The recently restored interior reflects the taste and wealth of the Croghans.  We again had a great docent who gave the four of us a 75 minute private tour instead of the standard 45 minute one.  She also knew her stuff and was a delight.

By this time we had missed the 2:00 tour at Hadley Pottery so we went to lunch since we were all starving.  We needed to make a stop at Walmart, get gas and make one more stop at the shoe store.  I found one more pair of shoes and Tom found two.  

Our last day in this area found us in Bardstown at Barton Distillery.  You can smell the sour mash all over town.  We have visited several of these in the past but always learn and see something new each time.  Today it was the "white dog" alcohol coming off the coils at 125+ proof that will be put into the charred barrels for 4-8 years.  A glassful was pulled off for us to smell and taste but a sniff was good enough for me!  Back at the tasting I turned down the Barton 1792, an 8 year bourbon but did taste the Chocolate Bourbon Ball Creme Liquor.  It has a much bigger kick than Bailey's and Ted bought a bottle, so did Tom who also bought a bottle of Barton's 1792.

We went into town to eat at Mammy's.  I ordered the Baby Brown which is a small Kentucky Hot Brown.  If you don't know what that is you probably never spent any time in Louisville!  You might want to Google it.  Tom had pinto beans and cornbread and ate every bit of it.  Eileen and Ted had huge salads but ate it all also.  

Next up was My Old Kentucky Home at the state park of the same name.  Stephen Foster was a distant cousin of the Rowan family who lived in the house for three generations and it is rumored he wrote the famous song sung at the Kentucky Derby each year while visiting the Rowans.  He wrote many beautiful songs we still enjoy today but died at the age of 37 all alone in New York City.  His wife, Jeannie with the Light Brown Hair, had left him because of his irresponsibility and drinking.  It seems so many creative people struggle to live what we would call a "normal" life.

Tomorrow we head to Georgetown.

No comments: