Friday, June 26, 2015

And So It Begins

We were up early for our 8:30 Corvette factory tour.  The last time we took it, the guide was much more knowledgeable and stopped at more work stations.  I guess the crowds are bigger now and they have to move folks along.  

We then went to the museum where the new thing for us was the sinkhole area being repaired and the damaged cars that are on display.  

I couldn't pass up the Procter & Gamble Tide car.

Eileen found two hot dates - Jeff Gordon and Jim Johnson

I had a 1:00 appointment with a chiropractor to see if he could help with my back/butt/calf pain.  I was pretty sure it was a nerve and he agreed.  He gave me a treatment and I was pain free when I left.  Also, he gave me some exercises which is what I was looking for.  I wanted to be sure I was helping and not hindering myself.  My blood pressure was high for me and he wanted me to stop by on Thursday to get it checked.  Hopefully it is nothing more than the long rides, the terrible heat and the stress of the pain I have had intermittently causing poor sleep.  I may need to call Dr. C back home if it persists. 

Ted left to fuel up the truck and go to the grocery.  It was too hot to eat together outside so it was later in the evening when we ventured out.  When it started getting dark the bugs started and we came inside.  I was in bed by 10:00.  The heat is wearing me out.

Thursday we started with a BP check at Dr. W's office and it was the same so I put a call into Dr. C and then we left for Mammoth Cave.  There were no tours we felt we could do left in the reservation system but we went anyway.  Sure enough there was an easy tour they do not take reservations for and we were able to get that one for later in the afternoon.  We visited the museum area and then had a quick bite before our tour.  It wasn't a long or strenuous one, about 80 steps down after a long walk down a hill.  After a mile and a quarter walk there were 80 steps up, and then the hill was a killer!  But we made it.  Last time here, Ted and I did 500 steps up at the end!

Drapery Room, Mammoth Cave

We came home to a nice dinner of steak, asparagus, corn, etc. and then we went to the Bowling  Green Hot Rods minor league ballgame.  They were playing the Dayton Dragons, a Cincinnati farm team.  The park was terrific and for $11 we had seats in the fourth row behind the dugout.  They had so many little games and things that included the kids that you couldn't help but enjoy it.  The fielding was extraordinary and it was a close game with the Dragons winning 3-2.

Friday was my last trip to the chiropractor.  I told him Dr. C said no salt for 3 days and if still high to seek medical attention.  Dr. W said it was pre-hypertension and if I watch my numbers, do my exercises he gave me and watch the salt I should see the numbers coming down.  They had already started getting lower.  The heat, the long rides, the pain have probably all contributed to the numbers getting high in the first place.  The pain in my butt I notice, the high blood pressure not at all but that's the danger in it.

I had put two loads of clothes in the washers at the laundry room before we left.  Eileen was going up to put them in the dryer.  We returned about 15 minutes before the dryers quit so we waited and then folded the clothes.  I had given Eileen one of my Cold Eze containers I use to keep change and took one myself to pay for the laundry; however, I had quarters, she had nickles!  She just turned them all in for quarters and no harm done.  Good thing she has a sense of humor!  Shame on me for not checking.

Once that was all handled we took a ride to Auburn, KY to once again visit the altars and windows at The Fathers of Mercy Divine Mercy Chapel.  It is so beautiful and we had a nice conversation with one of the resident priests about their order and our connection with the altars and things.  My parish church where Ted and I were married donated the high altar, side altars, Communion rail and windows were all donated to the Divine Mercy Chapel by the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.

High Altar

Side altars and lecturn.  I just realized I didn't take a photo of the communion rail!

There are two matching windows.

A display case of relics is prominent in the chapel.

A beautiful view of the countryside when you come out the front doors.

We came home and Ted left to have the truck oil changed.  He called saying it was hailing golf ball size hail where he was!  It rained but gave us enough of a break to eat dinner and stay out until after 8:00.

We leave tomorrow for Shepherdsville KY, a little south of Louisville.

No comments: