Friday, April 8, 2011

This Week, in This Place, Nothing Much Happened

I am so grateful for my Newcomer and Junior Forum social activities and volunteer opportunities. I kept the end of March, first part of April open because of the company coming. It didn't take me any time to get caught up after our company went home and there I sat.

I walked with Gerre on Monday, and waited for the GE repairman to come on Tuesday. He said my oven was off 15 degrees, pushed two buttons simultaneously three times and charged me $130. You can imagine what I told the survey person when they called!

In the afternoon, Ann stopped by for a visit. She wanted to see the few things we did to the house and to pick up the big coffeepot for Continental Breakfast on Thursday. Then I walked again with Gerre on Wednesday. To keep from going stark raving mad, I had my car detailed and got a pedicure.

Finally on Thursday I had something on the calendar. This was my first time to work at Regent Care Nursing Home. We were having an Easter party for the residents. I was given a packet with tablecloth, decorations, name tags, etc. so I got my table ready. We had 15 tables. There are a lot of stipulations about what different residents can and cannot eat so you have to be careful. They wear tags to alert you but some of them are crafty and take off or hide their tags so you can't see them.

There was a DJ playing old songs and the residents really seemed to enjoy the music and singing along. I have a new boyfriend now, Harold. He and I danced with him in his wheelchair through lots of the songs. He knew all the words to the songs. Harold was just my speed. I had worked up a thirst with all my dancing and singing and had to leave Harold for a bit to get a drink. Then all the volunteers did the Stroll in the middle of the room. I won't even say how many years it has been since I did that.

When I left I was amazed at how much I enjoyed myself at a place that so many had said was depressing. It was a great feeling.

We had plans for dinner with Gerre and Barry but their car ended up in the shop and it didn't work out so we took a raincheck. I ran a few errands returning a blouse, dropping off shoes at Beth's for "soles for souls" and the Canasta bag at Carol's for next week.

I walked with Gerre this morning, Ted is working at the Gun Club for a charity event and Rebecca just finished cleaning.

Tomorrow begins a week where I have lots to do and every day will be busy. I'll like that for a change of pace over last week.

1 comment:

Rick and Brenda said...

Sometimes it is good to just sit back and relax.
I do understand how you feel though. I didn't leave here all week.
Brenda has been busy, but where she went I couldn't go, so I stayed close to home.