Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ted's Home

Having Ted gone for almost a week, first in Dallas and then in Cincinnati, wasn't much fun. Besides killing, I mean tending, his flowers, I had to take out the garbage and make my own coffee. I saved the banking for him to do though. I'm getting lots of checks for the family reunion so I saved them for him to take to the bank.

He and Terry met up with Tom in Louisville and drove together to their two sisters' houses where they all stayed, two at one, one at the other. Of course Kathy had Skyline chili ready for their dinner.

Sunday was Mass and then late in the afternoon they were at the funeral home for about four hours during the vistation. They saw lots of cousins and old neighbors they hadn't seen in some time. Afterwards they all went out for dinner.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, after church on Sunday I took a day of rest. I finished up a book I had been reading and watched Amazing Race. It's good to put your feet up now and then.

The funeral on Monday was beautiful. Beth's girls did a wonderful job planning the Mass. There was a luncheon at the golf course restaurant where Ted's sisters live afterwards. Ted has taken quite a shine to 3-year old Gracie, his sister's granddaughter. He kept telling me funny stories about her antics and her T-ball video was a hoot. She wanted to know "who are you guys?" If you remember the Christmas card I posted with the live manger scene, Gracie was the angel while her two sisters and brother were Jesus, Mary and Joseph. I thought it was the greatest Christmas card ever.

I played bunco with my group on Monday and then came home to prepare for Tuesday's activity at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church for the seniors. I had to cook and cube three cups of chicken, three cups of celery, 6 eggs, an onion and a green pepper. That took me a little while and gave me something to clean up in the kitchen. I watched DWTS and went to bed by 10.

Today we had 180 seniors for the luncheon program. For some reason I was put on bingo duty. Melinda did the calling and I did the turning and placing the balls in the right spot. There was a great program of six children who all played the banjo. It was very entertaining and the seniors were really into the performance. Afterwards we served lunch of chicken casserole, croissants, deviled eggs and pistachio salad. I was the "salad slinger." Dessert was carrot cake with a little nest on top built from green coconut and jelly beans. A peep finished it off.

Getting 180 lunches followed by 180 desserts out in a timely manner is not an easy task. But the seniors leave as soon as they eat so clean up starts right away. I picked up the cream and sugars along with the salt and peppers. Then I folded all the tablecloths (24!) for the three ladies who were scheduled to take them home to launder. The last thing I did before leaving was to wash the last of the three big coffeepots.

Carol and I drove to pick up Terry & Ted and we went to dinner. It was nice to come home and have Ted here with me this evening. I want to get out and do a bit of shopping tomorrow after I walk with Gerre. But you know about the best laid plans of mice and men.

No comments: