Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sensational Saturday

I was up at O-Dark-Thirty on Saturday morning to get ready for a 6 am pick-up for our trip to Brenham. Arriving right on time, I joined Jennifer and Gerre as we headed west to Brenham. We watched the sun come up out the back window and arrived just in time to get an awesome parking spot. We made our way to the high school cafeteria to get our packet. Unlike most 5K runs, they had a time chip imbedded in our bib number. Cool!


After some orange slices, bananas, coffee and a pit stop, we made our way to the Start Line. There was some confusion as to which way we were running so that delayed our start by a few minutes. Once settled, off we went. There were mostly young people in this race and we had three accomplishments in mind: 1) finish; 2) not be last; and 3) do it in under an hour. Unlike our previous attempts during cool weather and on flat surfaces, it didn't get below 70 overnight and was making its way into the 80s ... and there are hills in Brenham, TX. We did our best to maintain a constant momentum but the ability to see people in front of you going up a hill and then disappear down the other side made us wonder where the turn was. It's also discouraging to see the young men on their way back while you are still heading to the turn around.


When all was said and done, we 1) finished; 2) had LOTS of folks still behind us and 3) my chip time was 57:53. Mission Accomplished! We grabbed our free Blue Bell ice cream bar and made our way to the car only to sit a half hour trying to get out of the parking lot. We stopped in Chappell Hill for lunch and were home about 1:00.

When I arrived Ted said my deceased friend's daughter had called. She was cleaning out her mother's things and had found the Lladro that I had always admired and had asked about purchasing. So off I went for the Lladro. It's one I've always wanted and could never find and now I'll always have a piece to remind me of Elmira.

After about a half hour nap I showered and started gettng ready for church. Afterwards Ted took me to the the Marriott for the Junior Forum gala while he went on to Terry's for a birthday dinner. My junior forum group decided to just have a girls' table instead of bringing husbands. Ted was fine with that.

The room was decorated beautifully and the meal of veal was very good. They have a silent auction, live auction and board auction. I donated three things and last I looked the bids totaled $425 but it may have gone even higher. I removed three things I wasn't using from my house, Junior Forum made money, and someone else can now enjoy them. A win-win outcome. Since I had no dance partner, when the music started I called Ted and he came to pick me up. By then it was 10:30 and having started the day so early, I was ready for bed.

Janeen, Donna Marie and Jeanette at our table for the Cirque de la Fantaisie.


Today I'm scheduled to work 3-6 at the Waterway Art Fair. It will be closing time by then so maybe I'll be on clean-up duty. Who knows? Stay tuned.

No comments: