Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Week Is Winding Down

We had our Red Hat Luncheon on Tuesday followed by the owner of an Herb Farm here in Montgomery speaking on the ease of growing herbs and how to use them in cooking. Right! Two of my favorite things to do. But she was cute as a button and I enjoyed listening to her. The men's luncheon was going on at the same time but Ted was on the lookout for the 2011 trucks coming in. The sales manager at Anderson Ford had a death in the family and didn't make arrangements so only GMC and Dodge showed. Ted was aggravated because at that time it looked like a "no show."

Our entertainment that evening was a fellow and two girls doing 50s music. They used a lot of audience participation and were a hoot! People were in gales of laughter. There was some nice dancing music too so we and others danced a bit. In between, we were all trying to get a better score on Wii bowling. So far my highest is 178 but that's nowhere near high enough to be in the bowl off.

Wednesday we had a catered breakfast followed by some seminars. Ted had a conference call so I listened to the Mor-Ryde independent suspension talk since Ted is considering adding that to the trailer. Then a lady from the Montgomery Extension Office talked to us about portion sizes in managing our eating. She told us to read the labels carefully using muffins as an example. The numbers they have listed are for one serving ... but the muffin itself may be three servings so you need to multiply those numbers by three! So 200 calories per serving becomes 600 for the whole muffin. Sneaky.

We were all waiting for Mike Mitchell, owner of Nu-Way, to arrive with two trailers for people to check out. He had not arrived when Sherry came to Ted saying the trailers were here. Ted called the factory and got authorization to sign for them. He and Stan then proceeded to set them up. Ted called Gullo Ford and they brought two dually trucks over so all four vehicles were lined up for inspection. Anderson Ford called and apologized profusely. They offered Ted a free detail on his truck as an apology.

In the meantime Debbie from Stampin' Up arrived and we got her set up for her class. Most of the ladies had never stamped so I was kept busy helping people while I tried to make mine. They seemed to enjoy it and had lots of laughs as they tried their hand at being creative.

Mike arrived and spoke to us about the direction of the company and where the HitchHiker International Group is headed. They always had paid wagonmasters for these rallies but they aren't doing that anymore. He hopes Sherry and her son will be able to continue on without them. With Larry dying this past year, Sherry and her son are still feeling their way. Lots of changes.

The Haulin' HitchHikers invited Mike to a happy hour at the pavilion next to our trailer. He came and had a beer with all of us. He calls us the Outlaws for some reason. Since bingo was going to be at 8 o'clock, about a dozen of us left about 6:30 for Fajita Jacks. A margarita and too much food later, we all came back (I had already missed Survivor!), but had a headache so came home. Ted went down to the bingo. I was in bed by the time he came back a big winner. He won a year's membership in the HitchHiker International Club ($25 value), 25% off next year's rally (about a $65 value) and $224 in cash. I'm glad he went.

I'm up early this morning since I went to bed so early last night. Today will be busy as we do all the activities and prepare for tomorrow's departure. We have such a long trip home.

1 comment:

Rick and Brenda said...

Y'all drive carefully on yopur long trip home, Ya hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!