Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Our Inaugural Adventure

Our Labor Day trip to Boerne was the first time we pulled the new trailer with the new truck. I'm happy to report it all went well. We left early Thursday and headed the back way to pick up I-10 at Brookshire. We learned Jim and LeAnne were about an hour in front of us but scheduled to make a stop and Tom and Susan were about a half hour in front of us. They said they would hold up at the next rest area where they needed to walk the dogs. So at the Guadalupe Rest Area we all met up and sat around a picnic table for a short while. Then Leo and Shirley pulled in. We were having our own little mini-pre-rally!

We all arrived together at the Alamo Fiesta Park so there was a short back up in the office but eventually everyone made it to their site. For dinner about a dozen of us went to the Hungry Horse. It rained so hard while we were in there that we had to take our shoes off and wade across the street to our vehicles. Other than a storm in the middle of the night, that was all the rain we got. The weather was superb. No oppressive heat during the day and cool, comfortable nights for sitting outside.

On Friday LeAnne, Susan and I were driven by Jim to the PX at Fort Sam Houston. I only bought a few staple things as did Susan. But LeAnne bought a new Coach purse and shoes. We stopped at HEB to order a meat tray for that evenings "Sandwich and Snack" dinner. Most everyone had arrived by dinner and there was a big crowd. I think we had close to 70 rigs with over 150 people. We were able to visit with friends we hadn't seen in some time. The evening's entertainment was Boomer Bingo.


Saturday morning there was a potluck breakfast that we all enjoyed. All the tables were decorated for various rallies we've had in the past. Sandy (Madame Boomer) asked me to decorate for Christmas and Easter which I did. Then my job was to make sure the two tables were cleared and cleaned. I also put all the chairs back properly. With many pitching in, it made the workload less for everyone.

Unfortunately my Canon camera just wasn't working. I had been having trouble and bought a new battery but that didn't fix the problem. So in the afternoon we went to Sam's with Tommy, Bob and Dana. They bought some things but I bought only a new Sony camera that Tommy (the photographer) helped me pick out.

Our dinner Saturday evening was catered with brisket, sausage, beans, potato salad and cole slaw. Dessert was the 10th anniversary cake for all to share.



Our entertainment was a guitar player and a singer. They did lots of nice music that you could dance to but still talk to the people at your table without screaming or going deaf. Ted and I danced several times. I asked him if he remembered his waltz steps but he said he didn't think so. I don't recall a waltz being played so he was safe. I'll have to refresh his memory for our trip to Pepe's On The River in Mission at the end of the month. I can't let Waltz Across Texas go by without dancing to it.

Sunday morning was our zippy omelet breakfast. This sounds weird but it works. We were all given a quart size good quality freezer zip bag and you wrote your name on it. You broke two eggs into that bag and squished them all up. Then you added a tablespoon each of "fixins" to the egg mixture. I just put ham and cheese in mine. Press out the air, zip it up and hand it off to be cooked. Fifteen bags at a time were cooked in boiling water for 15 minutes. When your batch number was called you got your bag with a perfect omelet cooked inside. Eight batches were cooked that morning.

We left to attend church in town. When we returned we rode toward San Antonio to a pewter place that had sent coupons out to the campground. I finally found a soup tureen. I have been looking for two years. They are hard to find and the few I did find were made in China. I refused to buy them. So the trip was productive for me.

Sunday night was our potluck and dessert was a 20 foot banana split. It was actually two ten-foot gutters side by side.


It was all going great until it was time for the whipped cream and things got a little crazy. I just filled my bowl and ran for cover.


Cody was sitting next to me and coaxed Madame Boomer into giving him the whipped cream directly.



We enjoyed one last night sitting outside with everyone. Monday morning dawned very cloudy and people were leaving in droves. We got off about 10 am after making our rounds to say goodbye to those that were staying over or had not left yet. We ran into Ron and Ellen at a rest area and then made it back to the storage area just fine. We stopped to get fuel before coming home and the heavens opened. Even though Ted was under a canopy the wind was blowing so hard he got soaked. We eventually had What A Burgers for dinner to end Summer 2010.

No comments: