Saturday, September 25, 2010

One Easy Travel Day, Not So Good The Next

We left on time Thursday morning, making our way to Victoria. We talked to Tommy and they were about an hour in front of us. As we passed the exit where Buckee's Truck Stop is, I spotted their motorhome and tow car and voila we were traveling together. We pulled into Lazy Longhorn together, got set up and then went out for dinner.

Friday morning Ted got up first and as soon as he hit the carpet outside the bathroom door he was standing on very wet carpet. Apparently the water kept trickling into the toilet, filled the bowl and very slowly overflowed all night. I immediately threw the throw rug into the shower and used about a dozen bath towels to soak up as much as I could. In the process I jammed my little toe and you know how that hurts!

There wasn't much else to do so we closed up and got on the road. We made a stop so Tommy and Susan's dogs could go out. I knocked on their door and because their motor was running, when he opened the door the steps came out and scraped the top of my foot before I could jump out of the way. We arrived at Bentsen Palms and learned we were going to be the only people in the park. How neat! We got set up and within the hour Jay and Stella arrived.

We have a built in surge protector on our trailer and the electric would not come on - it said low voltage. So Ted had to find Don who came to put in a new breaker. Then he trimmed some branches so they wouldn't hit our slides and he lent us a Shop Vac that we used on the carpet between the bathroom door and my closet door. I set our tower fan on the first step to blow across the carpet to finish off the drying.

As soon as we had all that under control we headed to the laundry to wash the rugs and towels I had used on the floor. I have to put A&D ointment on my eyebrows for a few days. With all the perspiration waiting for the A/C, it got into my eye and burned like the dickens. I had to wash my eye repeatedly in the laundry room sink. While there it rained so hard the connections of the tin roof started leaking. We were using a rag we found to keep wiping up the floor in the laundry room. We got drenched making our way back with the clean laundry.

Susan was going to cook but asked if we minded going out because she was tired. So we went to Furr's Buffet one of the restaurants we frequent down here. My only problem is that every time I go they never have coconut cream pie! While I was still eating my salad, Jay put down a piece of coconut cream pie and told me to remember My Daddy loves me. I so appreciated that little ray of sunshine in a rather trying day!

I slept really good, my toe and foot are OK, my eye stopped burning, the toilet has been fine ever since so today started out much better. We went to Gonzales Burgers for the best $3.95 burger you'll ever find. Stella and I split one because they are so big. Then we went to the Don-Wes flea market. Things are just gearing up so there wasn't much going on but Stella found a lady with three dogs for sale. One looks much like their departed Ralphie and in no time we had another passenger in our truck. We had to stop to buy a collar, leash and bed before coming home. He is doing real well and their female dog is doing well with her new little brother.

Ted and I went to church at 4:00. This is the church we always attend and there were a couple dogs present. Fr. Roy had his knees replaced and has to sit throughout Mass. He moved through the prayers rather quickly and we were out well before 5:00. When we got back, Tommy grilled steaks and Susan made potatoes, beans and garlic bread. We had birthday cake and ice cream for dessert since Ted, Susan and I are all celebrating our birthdays over the next week.

Once it got dark we all headed to our own rigs. I'm not sure what we're doing tomorrow. So many of the things we wanted to show Tommy & Susan are under water due to 20 inches of rain recently. No Pepe's on the River (it is now IN the river), no Riverside Club boat ride, no visit to the state park. I bet the hand pulled ferry isn't running either. We'll figure out other things to do and if not, we'll sit and visit with our very good friends.

No comments: