Thursday, September 9, 2010

And Hermine Came To Call

We got lots of rain Monday afternoon and evening and on into Tuesday. However, it was nothing out of the ordinary and we did not experience the flooding and tornadoes that hit other parts of Texas. In fact, my yard looks great! Last year we had lots of dead stuff and this year everything is green. Of course we had the front planter redone so it looks extra special to me. Thanks to all of you who contacted us to be sure we were OK.

It was easy to stay in and get caught up with the bad weather and that's just what we did. We are helping the organizers of the HitchHiker Rally get some local information together. The man who has done this for years died recently and his wife and sons are trying to carry on in his absence. When we received our packet it was light on things to do and places to go. So we contacted Sherry and she graciously accepted our offer to help. I've put together a packet of local attractions along with maps on how to get there from the campground. Ted is getting a group together through the Nuwa Owner's Forum to attend the Texas Opry on Saturday night before the rally officially begins on Monday. He also has arranged for Chevy, Ford and Dodge 2011 pick ups to be brought to the campground for viewing on the day of the men's luncheon. I'm trying to get a Stampin' Up distributor to do a class for the ladies too. I don't know how this will all turn out but at least we will have tried as hard as we could.

Today I had to work a Senior Bingo and Luncheon held at Trinity Church. Junior Forum is the most organized group I've ever worked with. Everyone has a job to do and as long as they do it, it runs like clockwork. We had to set up the tables with the things that went on them - decorations, silverware, napkins, name tags, sheets to be filled out, etc. We then offered coffee or orange juice as they arrived, all 114 of them. Then we played bingo and I had to help a lady who didn't hear too well ... and she won the first game! I'm a lucky charm I guess.

After bingo they were entertained by a group of trombone players. They started off with 76 Trombones and then the fight songs of UT, Texas A&M and LSU. I think that covered 99% of the football fans in the room. When they concluded their concert we served lunch of BBQ chicken, cole slaw, chips and a brownie. I've never seen food come out, get distributed and then cleaned up so quickly. They have it down to a fine science.

I left there and went to Pappadeaux's Seafood Restaurant because my neighborhood ladies were having our monthly luncheon there. I told them I was coming but would not be eating. They had ordered but not gotten their food yet so I just had an iced tea and talked to everyone at the one end of the table. Afterwards I did some grocery shopping before coming home.

Tomorrow Rebecca is coming to clean. She is going to earn her keep because it's been a long time since the house has had a thorough cleaning like she gives it. Ted is going to the Visitor's Bureau for brochures to send along with the other stuff for the rally. After we get it all together, he'll take the packet to the post office and send it to HitchHiker International so they can get packets together to bring.

We're playing Canasta Saturday night but have nothing else on the agenda for the weekend. Ted is making a trip to Florida for work next week and we're going to dog sit for Zoe while her Mommy & Daddy are gone. Never a dull moment in our neck of the woods. I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 comment:

Rick and Brenda said...

Where is the Hitch Hiker rally being held? Just curious.
Nice of y'all to volunteer to help.