Wednesday, September 29, 2010

How Green Is My Valley

Since we are three of only four rigs in the park we've taken over the thatched pavilion in the center of the sites which form a big circle. We just leave our chairs out there. We've also taken over a site between us for our table for eating. There's also a spot to park the truck. In a few weeks this whole park will be filled but for right now it is all ours.



A cool front came through and the weather has been glorious. It's such a pretty time of year here. The butterflies and hummingbirds are flitting all over the place. I spent two days trying to get a good picture of a butterfly and this is the one I chose to keep. Tommy is helping me with my camera, resolution, size, etc.


We learned that Tommy played the photographer at the wedding in Urban Cowboy. He was called as an extra but since he spoke some lines he had to join the Actor's Guild and still receives residuals though they keep getting smaller he said. Now I have to rent it to just watch for him!

The hummingbirds are constantly around the feeder but between the glass, the sun and their speed, getting a good picture is hard. Here is one of the lovely flowers growing on a bush outside.




Sunday we enjoyed cinnamon rolls I made with our coffee out in the pavilion. At noon everyone went to watch Dallas vs. Houston and Susan and I took a ride along the levy. We passed the Border Patrol several times, saw the damage at Pepe's from the flood and viewed the river from several spots. During the night we hear helicopters patrolling the Rio Grande River that runs right behind the levy that protects this area. There has been no trouble around here but the border is porous and Mexicans continue to come anyway they can.

At 7:30 on Monday Nick arrived to start washing and waxing the rigs. It took him and two helpers over 10 hours to do all three. Nick has done ours each year since we've had one. Since we were hanging around the park anyway and it was Ted's birthday, I cooked dinner for all of us. It turned out pretty good and they especially liked my yeast rolls. I said I would make them again on the night Stella cooks dinner.

Yesterday we went to the ropa usada and ropa nuevo stores. The usada stores are used clothing in a heap. People climb all over it looking for good items, mostly for resale. Items are sold for 30 cents a pound. The nuevo stores are new clothes from overruns, distressed jobbers, clearances, etc. and are on racks on hangers. We all found something to buy but just seeing the usada stores is quite an experience.

This morning Jay is taking his truck in because something was leaking last night. Ted has lunch with the McAllen newspaper guys so we won't be doing much until this afternoon.

He has also decided to take me and the RV home on Friday and then drive to San Antonio on Sunday. He isn't shooting until Monday and doesn't want me to sit around for days waiting for him when I have so much to do at home. Either way is OK by me since he does the driving and I'm just along for the ride.

I'm watching the butterflies and hummingbirds out my window. It is all so beautiful right now in this park. Good weather is forecast for the rest of our time here.

2 comments:

Rick and Brenda said...

The pictures are very nice.
You are a quick study and Tommy is a good teacher.

Barbara said...

Sorry I missed your birthday. Happy birthday, Ted!