Thursday, March 11, 2010

Welcome to Texas

It was good to see that sign when we crossed the state line from Arkansas into Texas in Texarkana. We are gone for longs stretches lots of times but then we are usually in our RV with our own bed and our clothes put away in closets and drawers. Living out of a suitcase just isn't the same.

Last Sunday we attended church with Karen and Ron. Their son Terry and daughter-in-law Lynn stopped by to give them an update on the cabin at the lake where they had spent the weekend (without facilities). Ron is anxious to get it open because Karen won't go down until she has "facilities." They plan to do that this weekend.

Then their daughter Cindy and husband Tim came by to see us and show me what she has gathered for the 2011 family reunion. We chose the shirt and bag we'll buy in bulk. She also had a lot of "giveaways" to put in the bag. I need to work on getting some of those too. They stayed for supper so it was a nice day and evening.

Ted called his sisters and they and Kathy's husband Mike met him for lunch on Monday while I met with my friends for lunch. Donna, Donna, Donna, Cookie. It's almost like stuttering but we started Kindergarten together in 1950, graduated high school in 1963 and we can pick up like no time has passed at all. I had a great visit.

We headed out early Tuesday and drove to west of Little Rock where we spent the night. Wednesday we finished up, arriving home about 2 p.m. Here's where the saga of the post office starts again.

In December and February they did not hold my mail for the two week stretches we were gone. This time they started holding it two days before we left but I let that go feeling at least they were holding it. Terry checked the first week and we got mail 3 days in a row. I called the post office, had a "chat" with the guy in charge who assured me they had a tub of mail already that they were holding for me. Guess what I found in the mailbox - 54 pieces of mail! They are absolute idiots at my post office. Now I know why the term "going postal" has become synonymous with losing it!

Kara went to the doctor yesterday and he said she is perfect, exactly where she should be at this point. However, Morgan got sick at school while she was at the doctor and had no one to go pick her up since Kara was all the way downtown. It's times like this that she and I both wish I was closer. A neighbor came to the rescue and by evening Morgan seemed to be doing OK.

I did get through some bills and things out of the 54 pieces of mail we had yesterday but today that "tub of mail" will be picked up by Ted and I'll have another go round with it. I have a luncheon and party today too so I need to get moving.

Talk to you all later.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Glad you made it home safe and sound - I know what you mean about living out of a suitcase is just not the same! Sounds like you had a fun time visiting with everyone. Good luck with your "battle" with the post office.