Monday, March 22, 2010

OK, I'll End the Suspense

After talking to Susan and to Stella, we decided to brave the cold and head out to Stephen F. Austin State Park in Sealy, TX. We took I-45, the Beltway and I-10 to get there. When we pull the RV we go through Magnolia, turn south towards Waller and Brookshire and pick up I-10 for just a few exits. It's a much more enjoyable ride and cheaper since we don't have to pay any tolls. They can get expensive when you are pulling a trailer with the added axles. In fact, we came home the back way because I-10 traffic was getting heavy.

We met some new folks Gene and Linda from Austin who turned out to be terrific people. Linda took charge of lunch even though everyone brought stuff to share. We had Sloppy Joe sandwiches, sliced brisket, calico beans, home made potato salad, cole slaw, lots of appetizers and banana pudding and brownies for dessert. They had a campfire but it was still chilly in the shade, especially when the wind was blowing which was most of the time. It was nice and sunny with a clear blue sky so we just made the best of it. Tommy took some Flip Video and sent it to me but I can't get it onto the blog. I'll keep working on that. So for now you won't see me in my earmuffs and gloves!

Stella's brand new chair got blown into the fire and the top of it was burned. Before anyone could grab it there was a 6 inch round hole burned through to the foam. They looked long and hard for those particular chairs and it's a shame that happened.

We all discussed our traveling plans and when we could hook up. Susan and Tommy spend occasional months at Rayford and so do Jay and Stella. We're close enough to drop in and visit them and when time permits, we pull the RV over there to stay awhile. Our plans for going to the valley at the end of September are shaping up. We always have a good time down there and I'm anxious to show Tommy and Susan around.

After much talking and eating we decided to head back home from this beautiful park. We had intended to camp there this week but Ted is going to Atlanta Wednesday and that screwed up our plans. I had some pills to get from Stella from her drug run in Mexico after we had left them in the valley. To my surprise and delight, she had made a coconut cream pie to share with me!!!! When we go to Tony's in Sealy the portions are too big for me to have a piece of pie. We ate at Furr's three times in the valley and they never had coconut pie when I was there. I thought for sure we would go to Tony's and eat. I was determined to finally get my pieces of pie but then they said we were eating at the campground. Stella specifically told me not to stop at Tony's before coming to the campground.

She packed up half the pie and some cool whip. As soon as I got home I had a piece and shared a second piece with Ted. However, he knows that third piece is mine and I'll eat it for dessert tonight.

Thanks Stella. The pie is terrific as are you as a friend. See ya down the road!

No comments: