Friday, September 25, 2009

Fall Is In The Air

Tuesday Ted left for Florida. He took Kristin to dinner and spent the night at her house. The kitchen floor and crown molding have been completed since his last visit and he said it really looks good. She's down to one bathroom and new living room furniture to finish. The house is about 50 years old and was occupied by an elderly woman until she died. It was a top to bottom overhaul that has been on-going. It's nice to know the end is in sight.

While he was gone I did my normal things around the house and went to Happy Hour at the country club on Wednesday night. We had a large group and I didn't get home until after 8 o'clock. I used the DVR to record Dancing With The Stars and watched it when I got home. At least the first two sent home really deserved to go. Either you can dance or you can't. And they couldn't.

I got quite a scare on Thursday when I came out of the shower and Ted had come home. I had set the alarm, which he disarmed upon entering, so to find someone in the house was startling. He caught an early flight home but didn't call to tell me.

I've been walking in the morning with my friend Geri. She lives across SH 242 next to the walking track so we meet in the morning. This and the trails we took this summer must be paying off because the doctor called with my test results and my cholesterol was 157 and my ratio was excellent! We're trying to walk three times a week but with both our schedules, that's not always possible.

Tomorrow is an appointment at the nail salon, shopping for Ted's birthday gift, a few errands, church at 5 o'clock and bunco at Terry & Carol's with the group from our parish church. We're subbing for someone.

Sunday is Ted's 65th birthday. We are celebrating by having dinner with 18 people from Newcomer's at Macaroni Grill. Carol and Jody are bringing a cake that the restaurant has graciously agreed to serve. I'm sure he'll be pleased.

Monday we're going to visit LeAnne and Jim. If the weather holds, Ted and Jim will golf at Legendary Oaks in Hempstead while LeAnne and I burn up the credit cards. Afterwards we are going to check out a campground the Boomers are using in Belleville in November. Then we'll do dinner in Brenham or Chappell Hill. They always say we're welcome to stay but it's only a little over an hour to their house and there's no reason not to come back home.

This time of year always reminds me of a poem I learned in the third grade. Ironically, there is a store here in The Woodlands called "October Gave A Party." Here is George Cooper's poem of the same name.

October gave a party
The leaves by hundreds came—
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.

The Chestnuts came in yellow,
The Oaks in crimson dressed;
The lovely Misses Maple
In scarlet looked their best;
All balanced to their partners,
And gaily fluttered by;
The sight was like a rainbow
New fallen from the sky.

Then, in the rustic hollow,
At hide-and-seek they played,
The party closed at sundown,
And everybody stayed.
Professor Wind played louder;
They flew along the ground;
And then the party ended
In jolly "hands around."

Happy Autumn to all.

No comments: