Sunday, June 2, 2019

Staring Down The Last of Three Gatherings Here

Because I schedule everything in May since it is the one month I know we are home, things get a bit hectic.  Thursday would be the Five and Dime gathering of a dozen women but I had things to do before then.

 Tuesday was a work day at the Thrift Store.  I arrived to the two paid workers fighting with one of those pop up tents, trying to close it.  They finally dropped it and walked off mumbling about the condition of the store.  Whichever group works on Monday of course wasn't there because of the holiday.  The manager, head cashier and Housewares lady were off all week.  Donations were piled everywhere and we had nowhere to work sorting clothes!  

Kim and I tackled the tent, opening the zippers which were keeping air inside, considered all the tabs and buckles, gave it a twist and voila, it closed!  We got hugs from Mark for that.  He proceeded to just put box after box out back in storage until we had a minimum amount of space to work.  Summer clothes were needed in the store so instead of opening bags of donations we brought down bins of pre-sorted clothing from upstairs to tag and put out.  I was to leave at noon but stayed an extra hour. My suggestion would be to stop taking donations for a few days but until the Housewares lady returns, the space robbing items were going nowhere!  But no one asked me!

Wednesday I cleaned, sent Ted to the grocery and got my tables and food ready for card playing.  The ladies arrived around noon on Thursday, ready to take my money again!  Shanghai consists of six different hands.  They each get more difficult.  "Getting down" with the called for hand and then playing the remaining cards is the focus and the lowest score wins.  We had two tables and ours was a doozy!  Everyone had triple digit scores, almost unheard of, and though I went out (0 scores) four of the six times, the other two hands put me in 4th place.  Now you know why I don't play poker!

Friday I put away the dishes and things I used on Thursday and did laundry.  Ted was scheduled to shoot in a competition in Huntsville but his trigger mechanism broke just as they started.  Since he didn’t take his other gun, he couldn’t continue.  He took the gun apart and could see a broken piece.  He will call the manufacturer for a whole new trigger mechanism and install it.  I encouraged him to order the proper tubes for his Kolar gun so it would be equally good to use for Sporting Clays.  I hope he can get that piece quickly, or the tubes.  Both would be best.  

The weekend was quiet.  Other than going to church and out to grab a burger, we stayed close to home.  I had to buy a shower gift for Ally’s baby from my sister so we stopped and did that.  I didn’t want to start traveling with that still on my plate.  Groceries to feed two meals to 100 people will be enough for the time being.

The next three weeks I am designating Uber Doctor week.  In order, I have to get an ultrasound, take Nancy for cataract surgery, take another friend for foot surgery and back again later for a bandage change.  That's the first week.  The next is cardiologist appointments for both of us.  Mine for ultrasound results, Ted's because our PCP said someone going on 75 should have a cardiologist!  Ted's annual endoscopy is next followed by my mammogram.  The third week is lab tests for me and a second cataract surgery for Nancy.  Everyone should be in good shape by the end of June!  Good thing because the next week we will be On the Road Again!  🎶🎶

It is hurricane season now until November.  Be prepared.🌪 ⛈






No comments: