Tuesday, March 12, 2019

A Visit With Friends

I am really slacking off!  What I am writing is off the top of my head.  Let's see what I can remember!

Gerre and Barry arrived on Wednesday later than originally planned.  She was in charge of her church's Shrove Tuesday pancake supper and they started out Wednesday morning later than planned. 

Ted and I attended the Ash Wednesday Lenten service and then we picked them up for dinner at Cracker Barrel where I ate trout and Ted had pancakes.  

Thursday we traveled to Mexico but we were caught behind the road patching caravan and it took 1.5 hours!  Our first stop was Almost Free pharmacy and then on to El Disco where Gerre did a bit of shopping.  We met up with the boys in Pancho's Bar, already on  their second margarita.  From there we headed to Jessica's for Ted's eyedrops but didn't even stay for the free margarita.  We received farewell hugs from the owners who wished us safe travels.  

That evening we went to Golden Chick for their roasted chicken for me and Gerre and tenders for Ted and Barry.  We have learned they are mostly in small Texas towns and Alton, TX fills that bill.  We all agreed it is great food for little money.  We came back to the coach house for a game of Shamghai.  Gerre had a Shanghai and didn't even realize it at first.  I also was holding one, needing to draw a card that would fit but with three jokers to manipulate, but I never got the chance!  

Friday our guests went to find a Sun Hut to use a gift card and in the afternoon we played mahjong while the fellows went to Da Range as our gun range is aptly named.  Sue had pointed out an Italian restaurant when we were shopping so we chose that for our meatless Friday dinner.  The pineapple pizza with extra sauce on thin crust was excellent.  We will certainly go back.

I was under the weather again Saturday morning so begged off a trip to the Mexican flea market.  By 10 am I was feeling much better so our afternoon and evening plans stayed intact.  The annual Toppa Hoppa (not sure what that means) started at 3:00.  We all went to the clubhouse for wrist bands and to buy into the "game."  There were 5 food stations and one dice roll when you bought your game sheet. You had to roll 5 die and get a 6 to get your ship, then a 5 to get your captain and the cumulative score of all 5 die to get your crew.  

My first roll I got my 6.  At our first stop I got a 5 and we bought $2 margaritas from the roving wagon and feasted on Frito pie.  Next stop was 1-2 ribs and cole slaw.  I threw a total of 18 for my "crew."  Our third stop was pulled pork and broccoli salad.  I was getting full so gave the pork to Ted.  I rolled in the teens.  Fourth stop was charro beans and mini corn muffins.  Three spoonfuls of beans and one bite of muffin and I was done.  I rolled in the teens again.  Our last stop was chicken Hawaiian skewers.  There was no way I could even think of eating it.  The chicken chunks were huge!  Someone gave me a ziplock bag and I took ours home. We stopped at the clubhouse for a brownie bite and one inch square cheesecake.  My total crew was 63.  Scores in the 80s won the first three prizes but Ted and Barry tied for last place with just 6 that they finally got at the end.  Barry won the roll off!  We said our farewell because they were taking off early in the morning.  They promised to return next year possibly for Smokin' on the Rio if the dates work.

I played mahjongg in the afternoon and we attended evening Mass at Our Lady of San Juan of the Valley Basilica.  Their 15 piece mariachi band provided the music and singing cantor.  Mass was a combination of English, Spanish and Latin.  Some I got, some I didn't.  We had dinner at BJs where I tried their tri tip sliders.  There are four but I put half the meat on one, the other half on another and didn't eat the two extra buns.  They were good and I would get them again.  

Monday the people to wash our RV did not show.  Ted tried three times to call but got no answer and there was no way to leave a message.  He called Rick who had been too busy and he said he would work us in Tuesday in the afternoon.  Ted emptied our tanks, checked all 14 of our tires and started gathering his things together in the coach house.  We took down my two card tables and put up the table Norm had given us along with four chairs.  We will leave that along with the tower heater he gave us too.  I have all the meds sorted by person and the games are in two Jessica Pharmacy sturdy shopping bags.  I emptied our hall closet and put the coach house things away and re-organized everything.  We are good to go!

No comments: