Wednesday, March 13, 2019

The End of Our Winter Sojourn

Tuesday we drove to the detailers and left my car.  Then Rick and his crew arrived to start washing the trailer.  In the meantime Eugenia came to clean inside.  I told her if it was high or low it was dirty.  To polish all the wood requires a ladder that Ted doesn't want me climbing and floors, baseboards, behind the toilet, between the shower and vanity, etc. requires crawling around and I physically cannot do that.  So for right now, the RV inside and out is clean as well as my car inside and out.  Until it rains!  It will be a smaller job emptying it and just putting it away versus having to clean everything.  Because we are leaving again in 2.5 weeks we hope to get permission to plug in so I don't have to empty the refrigerator.  Of course then every time I need something it will be "in the trailer!"  

We decided to drive to Alton to have chicken again and invited Sue and Niles along.  We had some good laughs talking about traveling mishaps in Europe.  

Wednesday we attended the Open House picnic for the gun range improvements.  I sure hope a new, updated IOS I-Pad fixes this "cannot post" problem for photos.  From about 3 tables to a full shade cover shooting stands and separate picnic area complex, the work put in was enormous.  Ted helped with the painting and screen stretching part after the welding was done.

For his part we were invited to a potluck for all the workers on Thursday.  I made warm, German potato salad and bought an apple pie at HEB.  If I do say so myself, the potato salad was as close to my mom's as I have ever made.  A lady asked how I made it and a fellow chimed in saying it was great.  Made me feel good.  Earlier in the day we had dropped Ted's truck off to be washed and waxed and then we both got haircuts.  I came home and got rid of the gray!  Then we went back for the truck.  All was clean.  Then it rained!

Friday I hit the nail salon.  I knew I had more time here than when I get home.  Two months of mail, our taxes, Ted's sister in law's taxes, 8 medical appts and another 10 day trip in the next month will keep me busy.

I played mahjongg in the afternoon and won 2 games after a long drought!  It was a fun time with lots of laughter.  When I returned home Ted was in the backyard.  The electric and water had been turned off too early!  We plugged in to our backyard neighbor's post with his permission and Niles used channel locks to turn the water back on.  We contacted the owner, he apologized for the mixup and I was able to tell him all was well.  

We went back to the Italian restaurant we had been to the week before with Gerre and Barry for dinner and had the same waitress who recognized us!  Two meatless Friday's down, five to go!  It's hard to imagine we used to do this every Friday!  

Tomorrow we will drive to Victoria and spend the night.  If we drive straight through we would hit Houston traffic mid to late Saturday afternoon and then have to go to church Sunday.  This way we can stop and fuel my car, go to church, eat dinner and leave early enough Sunday morning to miss bad traffic.  Sounds good in theory!  We will be at Woodlands Lake emptying the trailer on Sunday and putting it back in storage on Monday morning.  

It will be good to get home and get things caught up but it is with heavy hearts we leave our friends and "second home" until next year.  



No comments: