Sunday, November 25, 2018

November is Ending. Oh My!

Where has 2018 gone?  We stayed home more than usual this year but that didn't change the speed with which the year has come and gone.  Each year is a smaller percentage of our entire life so I guess it will just continue at break neck speed from now on.  

We have had a relatively quiet weekend, staying home Friday to avoid the shopping hordes.  Saturday we drove to Carmine TX to have lunch with my former boss, and Michigan neighbor, from my time at Celanese.  They have retired to Thornton CO and are visiting their son in Austin.  We had a great visit and meal before they had to return their son's car.  We went through Magnolia going out and the traffic for the Renaissance Festival had the town in standstill gridlock.  We took the Grand Parkway home to avoid the problem again.  It was a bit longer, and costly, but well worth it.  We were in time for church at 5:00 but didn't go out to eat afterwards because we weren't hungry.  

Sunday my major accomplishment was getting my jewelry in order.  I have a new hanging carrier and it allowed me to put sets together so I don't have to go rooting around looking here and there for what I want.  It is just costume jewelry but it gave me a sense of accomplishment.  

I used the Instant Pot to make ribs.  Remove membrane, cover with rub, cut into 3 rib pieces, set them up in a semi circle around the pan edge, pour in a can of Coke, the real thing, and set for 25 minutes on the Meat setting.  I left it naturally release for 10 minutes, then pushed the valve to finish it.  I placed them on a cookie sheet, brushed them with BBQ sauce and placed them under the broiler for 3 minutes.  Voila!  Fall off the bone delicious.   

The girls and I are trying to come up with a grocery list for our time in Hawaii.  We are in the two condos for 10 days times 11 people!  That equals a whole lot of food!  I think we will shop for just 5 days and then make another smaller run as we determine what, if anything, is left to get and just what we need to finish out our time without over buying.  After cooking for two for so long, making something starting with a 5# chub of ground beef seems daunting!   We will need at least four pork tenderloins and several pounds of chicken breasts.  Then on to all the side dishes!  And snacks.  We can't forget them.  And drinks. There are supposed to be some basic supplies in the condos so we will have to check out what is there before we leave for Costco.  

I worked at the thrift shop on Tuesday and didn't buy a thing!  I never even went into the store and worked my whole shift at the children's clothes table.  I wasn't feeling great and it felt like the afternoon would never end.  I drank a Coke as soon as I got home and felt better quickly.

Ted went to his shooting league and I finished the Hawaii menu.  Just three weeks to Aloha!

No comments: