Sunday, August 28, 2016

A Quiet Day and Wrapping Up

Pat and Kelly texted from the airport Saturday when they were at their gate.  In the late afternoon they texted they were in their car on the way home.  They said they had a great vacation and that made me happy.

Ted and I did laundry here in the park, I had changed the sheets, and vacuumed the carpets.   We watched sports on TV and at 5:15 we left for Mass that actually started at 5:00, not 5:30.  He and Eileen said it was 5:30 and I believed them.  I didn't really remember and didn't check.  We missed the beginning prayers and readings but came in during the homily.  

It had been cold and rainy in the morning and I had the fireplace on.  By afternoon we needed the A/C and by church we wore jackets.  Crazy weather here at 7,000 feet.  We leave for Phoenix on Thursday and it is to be 101!  I planned coneys for dinner since we have eaten out so much but it was too chilly to eat outside.  It was an easy dinner and clean up that left our evening free and we just stayed inside taking it easy.

On Sunday we headed to Arizona Snowbowl ski area to ride the chair lift to the 11,500 San Francisco peak.  It is about a 20 minute ride up, some time at the top enjoying the gorgeous scenery and another 20 minute ride down.  We wore jackets up and were comfortable but the ride back down into the wind was chilly!  We really enjoyed it.

The start of the chairlift.  Sit down, pull the bar, put your feet up and away you go!

First slope we came to.

Tom and Eileen behind us.

Tiger Trail to the right and left.

To the right ...

To the left ...

We are as high as some very tall trees!

We arrived!

Some scenes from the top.

From there we set out to find Dove Chapel.  We passed it at first because we were all looking across the road at the Watchable Wildlife Trail.  We don't know much about the chapel but it is stocked with booklets, handouts, CDs, etc. so someone tends to it.  The architecture is certainly different.  It starts with a six foot door and builds to a large glass triangle window on the back wall.

We then went across the road to walk the trail.  Our wildlife count was three chipmunks!  But it was a beautiful day and a nice walk.

Anita, our tour guide at the Riorden Mansion, had suggested we eat at Black Bart's Steakhouse.  

She said the waiters sing while you eat and there was a coupon on line.  It was close to their 5:00 opening time so we checked it out and decided to eat there.  The food was very good and the singing was enjoyable but as the restaurant filled it became harder to hear.  They need a better sound system or singers who can project their voice better.  I doubt you will get people to quiet down during dinner.

Our waiter Scott.

On the way home I could hear what I thought was the brake under me on the back wheel.  Tom listened and eventually we could all hear a noise when he braked.  Tomorrow he and Ted will try to find a decent automotive repair shop here in Williams.  Our agenda is very fluid these last 3 days so we will play it by ear until the car problem has been repaired.

No comments: