Monday, April 6, 2015

Maybe A Change in Plans

We went to 11 o'clock Mass on Easter.  I always wonder where all these folks are the other 51 Sundays of the year.  We found a parking spot around the back near the playground and entered through that walkway which put us right at the gym where a simultaneous service would be held in addition to the church.  There were seats in the third row so we took them.  Our hospital chaplain said Mass and it was 12:30 when we got out.  Luckily we drove right out of the parking lot and were on our way home with no gridlock.

We met Terry, Carol, Irene and John at the country club for the 3:30 seating for dinner.  Unlike our experience the week before, the food never ran out and there was plenty of waitstaff.  Afterwards we went to Carol's to play cards and I had horrible hands and ended up with my highest score ever.  So much for bragging about all our previous card playing triumphs last week!

They are predicting rain all three days next weekend and then through most of the next week so I asked Ted if we were able to cancel our Kerrville trip.  Traveling there in the rain, followed by days of rain doesn't sound like much fun to me.  And I do have other things to do!  We eventually decided to cancel the trip.

On Tuesday I had a bone density scan, 3D diagnostic mammogram and an ultrasound.  They read the last two right then and the doctor came in to tell me all was OK.  I have never had that happen before and it caught me off guard.  I was certainly happy with the news.  I am anxious to see what the bone density test shows.  I was really uncomfortable laying on that hard xray table and my hip/back/sciatic nerve/whatever it is bothered me for the rest of the day.  It hadn't been bothering me!

Wednesday we played Shanghai and I again had awful cards.  The evening didn't end well when one fellow at my table got upset because I threw a player card which allowed the girl next to me to go out.  I was holding 11 of the 12 cards I needed, a pile of cards that were players I couldn't throw and a set of diamonds and a set of hearts, none of which had a sequence of three that I needed but were such that I ñeeded just one of 7 different cards to make it work.  I chose not to break up my sets, not to throw a player but instead threw one that could be traded for a joker.  There was a chance no one would take it because you have to be able to use it immediately or hold it for 50 points.  I took my chances but Ann was able to use it and went out.  The fellow who then slipped from first to second was livid.  He claimed I wanted my friend Ann to win and we girls were sticking together.  I told him I was just glad it was over because most everyone had left.  We just said goodbye but I was told he was still cursing as he went out the door.

It is a card game that costs at most $2.30 if you don't win anything.  We play to have fun.  My thoughts are I have been disliked by professionals so I won't let an amateur like him bother me!  He can just play at another table as far as I am concerned.

The ladies' neighborhood luncheon was today and we had 11 ladies attend.  Nancy picked me up and drove us to Outback Steakhouse.  We had a big round table which worked really well for visiting.  We finished out the yearly calendar and once again will go to Treehouse for our Christmas lunch.

Tomorrow I have a Board of Directors meeting in the morning and a going away dinner party at 5:30.  I have been asked to give a toast so I typed up some things about the couple who are moving.  It will only take a minute or two to present them so I hope they have others lined up to speak too!

No comments: