Saturday, November 1, 2014

If I Could Turn Back Time ~ Cher

Halloween weekend was the "fall back" weekend from CDT to CST.  I don't know why they just don't leave it alone.  This, like school being out all summer, are throwbacks to our agricultural society.  Farmers don't need the extra hour in today's automated environment and kids working on the family farm is not so prevalent anymore either.  But I digress to the powers that be.

Friday night we were invited to the country club since the regulars didn't expect many to be there.  I have no idea how many usually show up but there were about six couples in our group.  We had a nice time and were home by 8:30.

The stainer was due here Saturday morning 8:30-9:00.  This has been going on for three weeks.  At 8:00 the phone rang and he said he had to work and would come in the afternoon.  When he wasn't here by 4:45 I told Ted to go to church without me.  When he wasn't here by 6:00 I called and left a message.  He called me right back and said maybe he could come tomorrow.  I told him never mind.  If I can't get a cost or sample of what is to be done in 3 weeks time, I have no idea how long it would take him to actually do it.  I went online and immediately had an 11 a.m. appointment for Monday from a highly rated company.  I hopes it goes well.

Sunday was a big day in Cincinnati for Lauren Hill, a freshman at Mount St. Joseph University.  Ted's two sisters both work at what we always refer to as "the Mount."  She has a terminal brain tumor and they moved the first basketball game up hoping she would be well enough to play.  She scored the first and last points in front of a sold out crowd that came to support her.  I have never met her but I admit I cried because it was such a success and so sad at the same time.

Besides using technology to stream that game live on my computer, at the same I was watching my nephew's company do the Bengal's fireworks.  And I was here in Texas watching it all live.  Afterward I went shopping to return candles and buy a chair.  Ted went shooting and we ate "breakfast for dinner."

To start the week I did the laundry and the new stainer showed up.  I like what she had to offer but have one more appointment for Wednesday.  I just want to have something to compare.  The first one can do it in one day the week of Thanksgiving.  The painter called to say he would be by at 8 the next morning to power wash the house and then put my sample on the eaves before we buy the paint.

The house was power washed yesterday and I cleaned the patio furniture.  All that black from the roof made a mess of everything on the ground including my cement St. Francis in the shrubs!  Then all the repairs, caulking, etc. was done.   Since it rained last night and rain is expected today, the bedroom and bath inside will be painted. I moved everything off the window seat and furniture tops in preparation.  Ted slept in the guest room rather than get up by 7:30 this morning.  He was up late watching the election results.  No sense losing beauty sleep over a little painting going on.

The second stainer is coming today and I will make my choice between the two.  It appears all this stuff just might be done by Thanksgiving as planned.  Then I have to decide how much Christmas decorating I want to do.  Probably not much!!

No comments: