Sunday, November 23, 2014

The Lull Before the Storm

I Christmas shopped, in my jammies, in front of my computer on Saturday.  I hate to shop but this way is bearable.  And I love free shipping!  My daughter said on the phone they wanted a new garage door opener, one with the extra keypad, and before I finished talking to her, I had arranged for her to receive an email from Sears saying one was at their mall awaiting pick up.  Instant gratification!  Love getting the sons-in-law things they really want or need.  Now the other son-in-law can help install it on Thanksgiving Day.  We call him MacGuyver because he can fix anything!

We went to church and then watched football ALL night!  I actually read and looked up now and then to comment.  When we watched the Texans on the Panama cruise my friend asked me if I understood the game when everyone whooped at a play. I told her "Yes, I understand it ... I just don't care."  I'm not even a "sunshine soldier."  We went to Gerre's Sunday because she was hosting the neighborhood get together for the Texans-Bengals game.  It was one of those games I couldn't lose since Cincinnati is my hometown!

The Bengals won but no one had to listen to me gloating because I was sitting outside by the pool enjoying the sun and 80 degree temperature.  We came home to more football.  I also had to get the bathroom ready for the workers that showed up at 8 a.m. on Monday.  It took them less than six hours to sand and stain the cabinets.

While they worked I did laundry and more Christmas shopping.  I had most of it done except for one granddaughter who had not yet sent me a list.  Her sister sent two typewritten pages!  

After dinner we watched Ferguson, MO burn which we all knew was coming.  I just don't understand how people think burning down their own neighborhood advances their cause.  I am not a racist but I'm not stupid either.  For safety, I wouldn't have been anywhere near that area last night knowing what was coming.  

Tuesday I was on the phone a lot getting all my last minute appointments made.  My calendar is so marked up I had to get a clean piece of paper to attach to it.  I did more Christmas shopping and I am very close to being done.  We did bow out of a group dinner when Ted saw the meal selections.  Two years ago he was told he could order something else but the restaurant said no that night.  We ended up spending over $100 for two dinners neither of us enjoyed.  We don't want to ruin the efficiency of the kitchen in getting over 40 dinners out to everyone else.  

We tried to get new I-phones Wednesday but I am not allowed until August.  I couldn't buy it for 99 cents.  I couldn't buy it for $19 a month.  I could have a Droid but nothing else.  The fellow even called Corporate and they said no.  I told them all or nothing at all so he had to undue everything he had done on Ted's phone to return it to us.  I don't understand, but it is what it is!  I may tell Verizon to shove it and change carriers.

On our way home we stopped at the nursing home to visit Wanda.  Her spirits are amazing.  She remembers Ted picked her up off the garage floor but then talked about Stan from church but we go to different churches so we don't know him.  She insisted we did.  She was getting drowsy so we left so she could nap.

We are leaving for dinner at the country club and then to Terry and Carol's afterwards.  Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: