Friday, May 11, 2012

Back on the Ground

We used to fly all over when Ted was working.  He racked up 3,000,000 miles on Northwest during his career and that kept us in frequent flyer miles for years.  Those miles have dwindled down to a precious few now so I was happy to see I've earned enough on my own account for a free ticket.  We did use a chunk of his for our one-way fares to Rome in the fall.  He's not out of points but his total isn't all that impressive anymore.  And this past trip we enjoyed flying into and out of Flint, MI.  Much like Lexington, Sarasota and Daytona Beach that we've used over the past year, it is so stress free compared to the big airports.  But now we're home with no flying scheduled for awhile.

I kept Wednesday free to get caught up, but Ted joined the fellows in our neighborhood for their monthly luncheon. Thursday I had a dentist appointment and then attended the ladies' neighborhood luncheon.  We both like to attend these when we can to stay abreast of what is going on around us.  And we have great neighbors and enjoy their company.

Today was the Junior Forum Installation Luncheon.  As part of the Social Committee I needed to arrive by 8 a.m. to help set up the room.  These gals never fail to impress me with their creativity and imagination.  I had helped last week with the name tags and programs so I knew the color scheme.  I didn't know what the centerpieces would look like nor what the skit would be.  I wasn't disappointed!



We had over 150 members attend the luncheon.  What impresses me most is when they introduce those who have taken on leadership roles, almost the entire room is standing.  Our group has donated more than 250,000 volunteer hours over the past 30 years.



Our incoming president, Penny, is a nurse by profession and her introduction and that of the first few new Board Members were plays on words in the health care line but then a stack of papers was given to the outgoing president to read while at the podium and she took Penny to task for her "secret life." Penny is a Biker. She and her husband ride Harleys. All the presenters on stage turned into Biker Babes and the music changed to suit that theme. The rest of the Board Members were introduced in an entirely different vein than the first few and they received their "biker" hat. We all had a lot of fun with the rest of the program.




We had a great lunch, acknowledgement of a tremendous amount of people and an all around good time.  I won the centerpiece (it was fixed so I would!).
 
Tomorrow night is Canasta and Sunday I'll start thinking about what all I'll need to get ready for over the summer.  Thngs are winding down but I still have several things on my calendar so gettng ready to roll will be done a little at a time.
 
"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve." ~ Albert Schweitzer




No comments: