Monday, April 23, 2012

Beaujolais Wine Region

In the afternoon we rode through the French countryside in the Beaujolais region, an historical province and wine producing region north of the Rhone-Alpes area and south of Burgundy.  Our destination was the family owned winery Domaine Des Averlys Estate owned by Mireille and Etienne Blanc.  We were welcomed to the 18th century wine cellar and given a talk on the caring of the vineyards.  This was followed by wine tasting four different kinds of wine.  I'm a riesling/piesporter, white German wine, person myself and wasn't too fond of the samples but the wine connoisseurs in our group were suitably impressed.  My only purchase was a jar of strawberry preserves which then begged the question "Is this a liquid when I'm packing my carry-on to go home?"

The scenery was spectacular and the weather delightful this day.


We sailed on to Macon, our last riverboat stop before boarding a bus for Paris.

No comments: