Friday, April 12, 2019

Fredericksburg TX

On Thursday, 8 of the ladies headed to Fredericksburg, about a half hour away from our campground.  This is in the Hill Country and birthplace of Admiral Nimitz, commander of the Southern fleet in WWII.  There is an impressive museum and occasional re-enactment of taking a pillbox.  But we have all been there so shopping and lunch were our objectives.

Our first stop was the Wildseed Farm with their gorgeous fields of flowers and a gift shop, lunch bar, specialty foods, equipment, etc.



We all went our own way and I bought two things for me - one for the house, one for the yard and two gifts. We eventually all came back together again and headed into town.

We wandered around checking out restaurants and decided on a deli/ice cream shop we had parked in front of to begin with.  There were lots of selections and the food was good.


We split into two groups and perused many shops.  I bought another gift and garlic powder!  We returned to the benches in front of the restaurant where most of the ladies had an ice cream (but not me).  Kristin had just called and as I answered a lady tripped and fell face down on the concrete behind my bench.  I hung up and went behind the bench to help her.  She had cut her nose very badly and was bleeding profusely.  The restaurant called 911 and brought ice.  I helped her to sit up and secured her purse and shopping bag.  Her friend was trying to call the woman’s husband but was having trouble.  I could see she was entering the number where the pass code belongs.  I asked the lady for her husband’s number and called myself.  Thank goodness he answered and I quickly explained what had happened.  He said he was on his way.

The EMTs put her on a stretcher and into the ambulance to attend to her face.  When her husband arrived, he fell in the very same place!  The sidewalk drops off about 6 inches to another height about 18 inches wide and then drops to the street.  There is no painted caution along that edge and a big chunk of concrete was missing right where her feet were.  I think the city may be hearing from someone shortly!

We saw all was being taken care of and headed home.  Happy hour was at 5:00 and it was almost 7:00 when we came back to have dinner.  Ted wanted Skyline chili and I made the spaghetti in the Instant Pot.  It only takes one minute.  Cover the spaghetti with water.  Pressurize, cook one minute, natural release for 5 minutes and manual release until you can open it.  It worked!

1 comment:

Mike Mills said...

I had no idea it was you who called me when my wife fell in Fburg, but I'm very grateful. I have followed your blog for some time. We spent the rest of the day in the emergency room and are both very sore today. Sandy suffered a broken nose. Thank you so much for your kind deed. And yes, the city will be hearing from us. God bless. Mike and Sandy Mills http://mills-travels.blogspot.com.