Monday, December 3, 2018

The Celebrations Are Starting

First thing Monday morning I took Ted to Enterprise to pick up a rental car.  He was driving to south Texas to call on the McAllen Monitor and chose to not drive his truck.  He will return Wednesday or Thursday depending on shooting skeet with his buddies before he heads home.

I was on call to take my walker to an 80 year old neighbor who fell and cracked her pubic bone and was now being discharged.  She lives alone and I didn't know what else, if anything, I might need to do for her.  She called telling me she was not being discharged until 3:00 which gave me time to go to the Container Store and buy some drawer organizers for my kitchen.  With only six drawers I have decided I am tired of hunting around trying to find things. A little organization would help.  

I spent the rest of the morning emptying and cleaning drawers and then used the organizers to optimize the space.  I think it will work pretty well now.  Then I tackled the pantry and in the process put together a bag of groceries to take to the church pantry.  No one can see what I did but that doesn't dilute my sense of accomplishment.  I even washed every potholder I have.  

At 3:00 I received my phone call and went to Anisa's house.  She had a nurse accompanying her, driving her home and getting her settled in.  I helped her out of the car and onto the walker.  Once she was inside and lying on her bed, I left her with the nurse.  I had asked if she needed dinner and she said she had it covered.  

Ted called saying he arrived safely and had visited Sue and Niles, Trudy and Don as well as rescued my Christmas napkins left in the coach house last year.  He texted me later saying he had eaten and was heading in for the night.

Tuesday I went to my happy place!  It was the Christmas party for the seniors in Tomball.  I took my two bingo prizes, donned my little Santa hat, put a bell around my neck and drove right into backed up traffic from a bad accident.  I called ahead to let them know I was on my way and they were getting my table set up when I arrived.  I had a very lucky table of bingo players and everyone won a prize.  

The entertainment was a group of Spanish dance students where our Volunteer of the Year takes lessons.  They were so good, and a nice change from just music and singing, that they received a standing ovation,




Lunch was chicken and dumplings, green beans, cornbread and spice cake.  Once they eat, the hall clears quickly and we can begin clean up which doesn't take long.

I had not seen some of these ladies in quite some time because doctor appointments and our trip to Florida and San Antonio had gotten in the way.  We had a great time catching up!  

I stopped by the thrift shop and because I had on my uniform they thought I came to work!  I was looking for a new toy to take on Thursday but they didn't have anything I was interested in so I went elsewhere and bought a pop-up tent.  After a drive thru trip at Chik Fil A, I made it home.  

No comments: