Sunday, December 23, 2018

Where To Begin?

We left in plenty of time to get to the airport and park.  The shuttle bus was there and away we went.  Our first disappointment was they would not check our bag through to Kona because Hawaiian Airlines is not part of the Star Alliance any longer.  So we were going to have to claim it, check it back in and go back through security.  TSA pre-check actually worked unlike our fun trip going to Rome!  

We had been advised there wasn't food service, only things to buy, on this 8+ hour non-stop flight.  What did I want for $1100?  Our seats were comfortable but we had no screens to watch the advertised movies.  You had to download their app, provide your own headphones and clip your phone to the seat in front of you!  I kid you not!!  Since I was in a bulkhead seat I had no seat in front of me and we have a whole basket of airline headphones at home but none with us.  None were offered at any price.  I read on my Kindle and Ted played Solitaire on my I Pad.

We waited 1 1/4 hours for late passengers before we took off.  Then we were put 10th in line since we hadn't used our allotted take off time.  Just as we moved into first place, an elderly woman was on her phone and her husband got up to use the restroom!   They didn't speak English so the attendant got their son from coach to get her off the phone and him out of the bathroom!  We barely made it before getting pushed back to 10th again!  I told Ted we could kiss our connection goodbye.

They brought drink service and I had a cup of coffee with a package of 6 thin wafer cookies.  A bit later they were back asking if we wanted to purchase any food.  I asked if they would come back again later and he said there wouldn't even be any food for the back passengers so if I wanted something to order it.  I asked for the $10 grilled chicken wrap and received a chicken Parmesan because they didn't have what I wanted.  No one asked if I wanted something else. They just handed it to me and moved on.  It was microwaved in a brown wrapper which caused hard spots on the corners.  Oh well!
had packed some apples, oranges and pretzels so we weren't going to starve.

We agreed Ted would wait for our bag and I would go ahead to Hawaiian Air to rebook our flight to Kona.  There is a shuttle but it just pulled out so I decided to walk, from Baggage Claim 30 to 1, then cross the street, go upstairs, pass International to Inter-Island.  I could not rebook until Ted was there.  He eventually arrived having walked the whole way without ever seeing a Shuttle.  Then we were directed to A16 where we did not make standby.  Not to worry, go to B2 and wait for the next standby list.  We made it!

Our arrival in Kona was now in the dark, our bag had arrived before us, so we proceeded to the car rental and received a nice Altima.  We drove to the resort complex, got through the gate, found our unit and got inside with no problems!  It was very nice, very well equipped and roomy with beautiful landscaping and views.  Finally, things worked as they should!

Side view, we are next to the pool.


From the second story balcony.


In the front yard.



Shortly thereafter we had to return to the airport to pick up Larry and Kristin, awhile later Cassie, Kelly and Pat arrived having rented their own car.

Getting to where you are going is the hardest part of the trip, second only to getting home.  I hope things improve but I am not expecting much out of United Airlines.  To me they are a flying Greyhound bus!

No comments: