Monday, December 17, 2018

Countdown to Aloha!!

Friday and Saturday were spent cleaning, shopping and cooking.  I dug out the Christmas linens and dishes.  To encourage people to stay out of my kitchen while I cooked, I pushed the table in the breakfast area back against the sideboard and removed the chairs from the long side and used it for the bar and appetizers.  Food usually attracts them!  That and the Texans were on TV in the adjacent family room.

We baked the ham for an hour just to warm it and, leaving it in the foil, placed it in the cooler to keep it warm.  Next up was putting the sweet potato casserole into the oven, when it came out I put it in the electric roaster on about 225 and put the bacon wrapped asparagus into the oven.  While that baked, I made macaroni and cheese in 5 minutes in my Instant Pot.  I had a mandarin orange and spinach salad with homemade citrus dressing and golden raisin sauce for the ham made ahead of time.  Last up was popping the rolls in the oven.  It all came together hot and ready to be served.  I love when that happens!


Everyone cleaned their plate and partook of Blue Bell peppermint ice cream accompanied by the Grinch cookies I made for dessert served with coffee.  We forgot to offer the after dinner chocolate dessert wine!  

We sat until after 10:00 talking and laughing.  We had such a good time!  I gave John and Terry each a container of mac and cheese to take home.  They both love it and apparently don't get it often.  Neither one declined!  

We had to go to church Sunday morning and then went to Walmart to pick up a few things.  Ted went shooting in the afternoon and I put all the dishes, crystal and silverware away and laundered the linens.

That evening we joined with Connie and Jeff in attending a dinner hosted by John and Sherida.  Two big dinners in two days is playing havoc with my Weight Watcher points!  It was just about 11:00 before we got home.

In the meantime on Monday I continued my mission of getting my email changed in more places.  I am making progress and the old one has been suspended.  That will allow me to peruse the 20,000 or so that have jammed my mailbox.  My electric bill came to my new email so that was a good sign!  

Tuesday and Wednesday we did laundry, finished packing, went to the bank, printed out boarding passes, put away what little I had out for Christmas inside and left a few things outside.  We made a reservation at the airport parking lot for the time we are gone.  Two years ago only reservations were allowed into Hobby, no room for those without.  We didn't want to leave it to chance.  We didn't ask anyone to take us for two reasons.  First, everyone is very busy right now and many are traveling themselves, and second we arrive home at a very early hour.  If I can't afford to park, I shouldn't be going, is my feeling.  

Since my last weigh in was 11/30 I had to weigh in for December or find a meeting in Hawaii to cover the month.  After three large holiday dinners and three parties, I was wondering if I could hold my number.  I was ecstatic that I weighed my lowest number yet.  I am not trying to lose anymore and I have enjoyed the food served at meals, paid close attention to party foods but did have an occasional  glass of wine.  Now I have to keep up the good work while cooking for all of us for 10 days!

We leave early in the morning so I will wish you all a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.




No comments: