Monday, October 29, 2018

The End of Our Week

Thursday was finally dry, but very muddy.  Ted called and said to not come to the gun club until 3:00 when they would be done shooting.  The whole complex was one big mud hole.  I was able to park my car on asphalt with a layer of mud but nothing I would get stuck in.  I sat on the patio until the shooters and other ladies arrived.  Everyone was really hungry so we just ate dinner from the snack bar.

I was looking forward to Friday when the ladies tour took place.  We arrived by 8:15 to find pastries and mimosas to start our day.  Our bus arrived and off we went.  Our tour guide was very good, informative but not overbearing with some funny historical facts and stories.  

Our first stop was at St. Fernando Cathedral.  As many times as I have been to San Antonio, I have never visited this beautiful church.  The remains of those killed at the Alamo are interred there in a marble secophagus, they were found during an excavation.  



The altar is a beautiful gold creation. 


Since a funeral was starting, we left to continue our tour of the city.

Next up was the ever present Riverwalk boat tour.  Each driver has his own spiel and this guy was entertaining.  After all the rain, warm, dry and sunny made it a delightful morning.  

Next stop was a Japanese Garden to visit.  As my Dad always told me, I am jaded by so much travel, and after Buchart Gardens in Victoria, BC, all gardens have paled in comparison.  This was quiet and peaceful with an interesting story that the family that created it were removed in 1941.  It wasn't until 1984 they were invited back and received an apology from the city.





We continued on to an award winning Mexican restaurant where we occupied the entire patio.  First up were demonstrations in preparing four different salsas that were served with chips prior to lunch.  By the time my chicken taco salad arrived I was too full to eat it all.  Cookbooks and tortilla warmers were for sale and bought by many.  

Our last stop was the Mercado.  Kristy was looking for a magnet for her mother, easy to find, and I wasn't looking for a thing so we just strolled around.

Back at the gun club, dinner was being prepared and we were having fajitas!  More Mexican!  I made a small nacho with the chips, salsa, cheese, pico, etc. and gave my fajitas to Ted.  We all eventually headed for home after saying our goodbyes.

We traveled home on Saturday.  Our nearest to home campground had no space, our second choice was having their Halloween weekend so no room and we ended up about 15 miles away at the KOA.  We emptied our clothes, food, guns, etc. and took it all home.  Church was at 5:00 so we cleaned up to go and then went to dinner with Terry and Carol, then returned to spend the night in the RV.

In the morning we put the trailer away. I spent the day doing laundry, putting clothes away, putting groceries away and going through the mail.  For dinner we ate the meatballs and spaghetti I had taken with us but never were home at dinner time to eat.  

There were several things that needed to be done in my office on Monday but my keyboard was not talking to my computer.  I finally gave up and used my phone and IPad to renew the trailer registration, look up my nephew's address to send him a get well card (he was in a car accident), chose a hotel for my April visit to San Antonio, paid our county and MUD taxes, renewed our AARP membership, paid the landscaper, paid the two months' rent for our spot in Retama, etc.  And I sent a mayday to Alison about my computer problem.  

Alison appeared with a wired keyboard which allowed her to get into my computer where she went to Devices (I think) and reset the wireless keyboard.  I sort of knew what was probably wrong and how to fix it but without that wired keyboard I wasn't able to get in at all.  Which reminds me, to use Maps with sound on your I Phone, you need to turn the Bluetooth function off.  I finally figured that out!  

And now we are home until 12/20 when the Great American Family Hawaii saga will begin.  But we have lots to do between now and then.  





No comments: