Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Cataract Removal This Week

We had little we had to do on Monday.  There was a huge pile of clothes on the bed from both of us.  As we put things on to wear, if it didn't fit, we added it to the pile.  (Ted has lost 20 lbs.on MY diet!) It took a huge black plastic bag to hold it all.  Then I put some home items in grocery bags along with our old printer, marked it for the Paralyzed Vets, and we set it out on the porch for their scheduled pick up.

Next up was a trip to the post office to send a package off to Kara.  Ted contributed three Aloha shirts for Bill to wear in Hawaii at Christmas and I had some things that may work for Kara.  And for good measure I put in the Disney cross body purse I got for Morgan.  The box weighed 10 lbs. when I mailed it.

We were invited to dinner at Sherida and John's to see their new home.  They recently returned to this area from a two year stint near Austin.  It is a new home and they are still deep in boxes but it is coming along nicely.  Gray is the color this year and her kitchen and baths carry that out.  She has the stainless black refrigerator that is so pretty.  I had a hard time finding a new dishwasher in the shiny black to match the rest of my kitchen last year.  This new stainless black is all the rage!  

We had a very nice dinner and then learned a new card game.  It is easy to learn but I ended up in last place.  Of 11 hands, I was dealt only one wild card the whole time.  Ted won!  We have to keep our card playing knowledge up in case a group forms or a casual game is scheduled.  We are asked to play Euchre on occasion but I don't like that game.  I have also never tried to learn Bridge.  Too serious for me.  We got home pretty late.

Do not plan to go on vacation anywhere I am headed this year.

First we booked a cruise to Italy, Turkey and Greece for September. Turkey had to be taken off as a port because they are not granting visas to US citizens now.  We are going to Malta instead.

Then I rented two condos in Kona on the Big Island for Christmas and the volcano starts flowing big time.  

We have reservations on Oahu for 3 nights so Ted can share visiting Pearl Harbor and the Arizona with Sam.  The tours on to the Arizona Memorial have been stopped because the boat dock needs to be repaired.  

And now the tourist areas around Athens, Greece had a huge wildfire that killed many people, many of them tourists. 

Fair warning, we do hope to go to Florida in August.  Hurricane anyone? Geesh!

Tuesday was fairly quiet.  I balanced my checkbook and sent several cards and paid a few bills.  I had a long conversation with my friend with the fractured pelvis.  She can walk holding on to something but cannot walk on her own yet.  She wants company this weekend to play cards and wanted to discuss snacks and things.  

I took a walk twice around the block and then tried to manually start our sprinklers.  They wouldn't come on!  I traced it to a tripped GFI in the garage and then had to reprogram the whole thing!  We have temps in the 100s and it hasn't rained in awhile.  I thought an extra "drink" would be welcome.  It did solve the mystery of who turned our water off in the winter of 2017.  I now assume the GFI tripped and there was no one here to reset it.  I only noticed the sprinkler had been off on our water bill when I received it.  Heavy rain will cause the GFI that serves the porch and courtyard to trip.  We probably came home, reset it, and programmed the sprinkler without connecting it as one event.  Something else for Nancy to watch!  

Ted had his cataract surgery on his only eye Thursday.  Needless to say, we both were apprehensive.  No room for error!  Everything went well and we were home by 8:30.  He had some swelling that caused a cloudy or foggy appearance to things but it dissipated as the swelling went down.  We just have to do the drops thing for awhile.  

We had to return to the eye doctor first thing Thursday morning.  We were taken on time but Ted was unable to read the first line of the chart.  His pupil has stayed constricted and was not responding even to direct light.  There is swelling they said and once it goes down things should improve rapidly.  I sure hope so!

I took him home and left for my WW meeting.  Once again my phone told me how far and driving time to the Good Feet store which is next door to WW!  Now it knows what I do on Thursday mornings AND Saturday late afternoons!  I only lost .2, 7.6 to go.  They warned me about how hard the last 10 lbs. are and getting off the last 5 are next to impossible!  

John stopped by to pick up the plant I bought as a housewarming present but forgot to take Monday night.  While here he received a text from Dave about losing his remote programming.  Since he was close I checked my bag and found a cord that he said would work so he left and got that fixed before heading home.  John is a lot of folks' entertainment systems guru.  And I never throw out a cord.  We made a good team that day.  

On Friday Ted was seeing properly so he went ... to the gun club, not to shoot but to look at the targets as they are thrown to see if he could see them.  He took my brownies to church for the funeral before heading out.  

We have no plans until Sunday when we are going to Irene's to play cards.  The poor thing is going stir crazy!  I didn't want to force Ted to go somewhere or do something too soon after his surgery but he says he is okay for Sunday!

I am about to post this so I will put in a photo to see what happens!  I have started and stopped this edition several times.  Here is a photo of the new comforter and newly covered bench (that is probably close to 30 years old and has had many covers over the years.)










No comments: