Friday, January 19, 2018

Hoping This Cold Weather Goes Away!

This global warming stuff has got to stop.  It was not only icy down here, there was snow and ice at home again!  We were using the tower heater, fireplace and the furnace to stay warm.  We have only filled one bottle of propane but I am sure the next candidate is coming up soon.  I warned our "landlord" the electric bill will be a doozy but just send me the amount.  It is what it is.

I finished the stained glass part of my table on Wednesday.  The yellow and green were larger easy pieces following a pattern.  The center brown pieces were small and free hand.  That took a long time. I was the last one done and sort of rushed those last few pieces because the quilters were coming in to use the craft room.  Next week we grout and seal.

Thursday I spent the morning with Sue and Dortha.  We stopped at the shoe repair since the ticket said Thursday but Ted's wouldn't be ready until 5 pm so we will have to make another trip.  We ended up having lunch at Pollo Loco (Crazy Chicken) which was ok but I liked Cowboy Chicken better.  I made some calls to family members to check up on my brother-in-law and to inform them I had received word our cousin Wayne had died.  He was 78 and had battled a brain tumor for some time.  He now will rest in peace.

Friday was more of the same weatherwise but they said the weekend would start normal temps again.  I sure hoped so.  Ted had errands to run so I took advantage of his absence to do some cleaning.  There isn't a lot of room to clean but there is a lot of bending and reaching to get to all the nooks and crannies.  Ted had stopped for his shoes and then had to return in one hour, four trips to finally get his shoes!

We had leftover bean soup from the freezer for dinner and then played Mexican Train in the coach house again.  I cannot get a break playing.  I pick up every large number out there when I don't have a play.  

Saturday dawned foggy and a few showers.  Ted went to the Gun Garage Sale at the clubhouse.  I think there were more sellers than buyers though.  I went to my Instant Pot cooking class and agreed to the assignment next week of making bread pudding!  Wish me luck.  I will practice a time or two before then.

While waiting to be picked up for church I got my Swedish weaving out and finally figured out the area I was stuck on.  I can't ask Beverly to help me finish the edges if I don't have the weaving done!  

Fr. Roy was in fine form again and we enjoyed his homily as always.  From there we went to Ranch House Burgers for dinner, the best place for burgers.  I ordered the kids' burger though, the others are too big! 

Then it was off to the Jason Coleman show, grandson of Floyd Cramer, one of the best piano players ever to accompany musicians on recordings.  He invented the "slip note" bringing the harmony sound to the piano.  His grandson certainly inherited the music gene.  His grandfather's history starting with Louisiana Hayride out of Shreveport in the 50s to his successful move to Nashville was all part of the show interspersed with well known recordings we all recognized.  It is mind boggling to see someone play so beautifully without a single piece of paper in front of him.  All in all, a wonderful evening of entertainment. 

Sunday Ted went shooting and sold one of his shotguns!  He gave me an envelope filled with money.  We probably won't need to go to the bank for the rest of the time we are down here.  I went to the Clubhouse and played mahjong.  

I had gotten a frozen package of cubed beef out and when I returned I made what our Instant Pot teacher calls dump soup.  Just put in whatever you have, fresh or frozen.  We floured the beef and then browned it.  I sprinkled an envelope of onion soup, then a can of diced tomatoes, a cup of water, three peeled potatoes, 1/3 of a package of frozen pearl onions and a bag of frozen mixed vegetables.  We set it on Soup/Stew and once it built pressure it counted down 35 minutes and stopped.  We let the pressure release naturally and then enjoyed some really good vegetable beef soup.  It was all cooked in the one pot so clean up was a snap!

Ted watched the playoff games and I find it ironic that the Eagles and Patriots will represent our nation in the Super Bowl.  Two beautiful symbols of our freedom that the NFL has allowed to be sullied all year.  I have no interest in the games but respect others' rights to watch or not.





No comments: