Monday, January 29, 2018

A Week Off Before More Company

On Sunday Ted took John to Mission Skeet Club and met up with a half dozen others to shoot skeet. When they came back we went to the Riverside Club on the Rio Grande for lunch and then headed east to show them what else is around here.  We visited Victoria Palms and while getting out of my car I slipped off the running board, twisted my ankle and down I went.  I broke my own rule "Stay Upright."

I skinned my elbow which wasn't bad but my ankle puffed up pretty good.  When we got home I iced it and on Monday I stayed off it and kept the ice on it.  It didn't really hurt except a little when I came down stairs.  Going up "toddler style" was no problem.  If it didn't go down by Tuesday I planned to go to Urgent Care for an X-ray though I thought it was just a sprain.  

Ted fixed dinner making chicken tenderloins and French fries in our new Farberware air fryer.  Before I took my spill we had gone to the Mexican flea market and bought it for $25.  Apparently they buy Service Center returns.  I don't know if the Center refurbishes them or just passes them along with notations of what was reported as being wrong.  The first one we had them plug in and it didn't work.  The second one had a basket a little hard to get out at first but it worked fine once you knew there was a lever to push.  All the notation said was "Doesn't work."   We plugged it in and it passed the test! The food was awesome with no grease and easiest clean up ever!  That and my Instant Pot are revolutionizing the kitchen.  

Tuesday I kept my foot up and iced it with great results.  When the time came for mahjong I was able to walk to the clubhouse with no problem.  Later in the evening we headed to Greengate Grove park to see Goldwing Express.  They are here for just six weeks because the rest of the year they work in Branson, MO at Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede and The Baldnobber's show.  Texas Boomers from Missouri recognized us and came over to say hello.  What great memories these folks have!  The show was great and we took some chances on a beautiful quilt.  It would work well in the RV.

Ted shot in a competition on Wednesday.  He tied with a fellow who then bought a second sheet and tried a second time, beating Ted.  Whoever heard of giving a Mulligan in shooting?  


 I chose to work on my Swedish weaving.  Beverly came over after mahjong and helped me get back on track.  I have ripped out more yarn than I have left in!  We went to Sam's, had dinner and then watched TV.

Ted's brother Tom and my brother-in-law Ron both had surgeries on the 31st.  Preliminarily they have both been given a thumbs up.  We pray things stay that way.

Thursday Ted went shooting at Mission Skeet Range and Sue and I took off.  I ended up replacing the blanket on our bed.  The old one was one of those thermal loose weave ones and it kept growing!  It was dragging the floor on both sides!  Sue found a pair of pillows for her couch.  We stopped at Chick Fil A for lunch and had a nice, long conversation before heading home.  

Tom called from Phoenix saying he was home and feeling fine.  Ron's daughter said he was feeling pretty good that day too though he was still in the hospital.  Ted fixed dinner and we went for a DQ ice cream and watched TV in the evening.

I played mahjong on Friday and had two mahjongs but should have had three.  I had to change hands when my 8 Dot went dead and lost my concentration.  I was late on a call for a tile, threw away a tile I needed then threw a tile I could have changed for a joker.  I told them I didn't deserve to win that game and they agreed! 

That evening we went to Bentsen Grove for a dance, there were about 40 or so from our park in attendance.  Ted calls it American Bandstand For Old Folks!  Everyone had a good time.

I was up early Saturday to make my homework, apple crisp.  We had to make something using the slow cooker setting on the instant pot.  I didn't want to get up at 2 am so used a recipe that only took 3 hours.  All in all, once I had it all together, I wondered why anyone wouldn't just put it in the oven for one hour instead of 3 hours in the slow cooker.  

We went to Mass, grabbed a pizza on the way home and eventually went to the clubhouse to play Card Bingo.  We are not allowed to go next door to play anymore so the social committee decided to do our own.  They weren't sure how well it would be attended.  The count was 92 people.


We went on time which translates to "you are on time so you are late and most seats are taken" in old folk language.  But it was a success, I had a good night winning two games for a total of about $25.  They only play 11 games so winning twice was something.  The first game I had to split with Bonnie but I was the only winner in the second.


Our company is arriving Monday so I have laundry and other things to do on Sunday to get ready.




1 comment:

Carol said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.