Monday, January 1, 2018

Alone Again

The house seemed so empty on Saturday morning so I said "good morning" to Alexa and she answered me.  On Christmas she sang but that day she just greeted me.

Ted was going shooting and I needed to get things ready for loading the RV on Sunday.  But first I put all my appliances to work.  Roomba vacuumed the whole house, the dishwasher was doing the dishes and the washer was doing our bedclothes so we would come home to a clean bed when we returned. I was gathering all the paperwork and financial stuff I would need.  I will still need to do the Communucations for bunco, neighborhood ladies luncheon and the nursing home Valentine's party while gone.

Next up were my clothes.  With this crazy weather I needed to cover all the bases.  Too many years I had warm or cool clothes, this year I have both!

We went to church and then out to dinner with Terry and Carol before heading home. On Sunday Ted left to pull the trailer to the campground while I started packing the food.  When he called I filled my car and took all the pantry, refrigerator and freezer items over.  Then we went back for the clothes.  I stayed inside the trailer while Ted handed things to me so I didn't have to go up and down the steps and start my back acting up again.  It was doing pretty good and I wanted to keep it that way.

In the afternoon our next door neighbor drove over to see the RV.  He is from Israel and was curious.  He proclaimed it a land yacht and seemed to be very impressed.  We had a nice visit with him before he left with the promise to put our garbage cans out this week.  We both have remote openers so we can get into and out of the garages for that reason.  

We were tired and hungry by then but I was in no mood to get cleaned up so we had our New Year's Eve dinner in McDonald's attached to the Shell gas station.  With the bright lights inside and the empty restaurant and dark night outside, I told Ted I felt like a character in the Boulevard of Broken Dreams painting.  We came home, turned the fireplace and furnace on and spent a quiet evening.  I went to bed at 11.  I was awakened by fireworks at midnight but just turned over and went back to sleep.

We pulled out a little before 9:00 and drove to Mission, arriving about 3:30.  To save Ted a half hour of jockeying the trailer back and forth, Niles, a semi truck driver, put it in with no trouble.  Palm trees and planters and a 90 degree angle can be a real nemesis for some!  Niles would rather just do it than direct Ted.  

It was bitter cold and I wanted to get inside.  The electric cord was in my car so was pliable but the hoses were not!  I had to go out and hold ends while Ted got them connected.  It wasn't long and we were settled.  Tom and Eileen, our neighbors from the last time we lived in Florida, arrived next door the day before,  so we picked them up and took them to LaPatio where we enjoyed dinner and the GA/OK game.  What a nail biter end!

It was a quiet night and we were comfy and warm when we went off to bed.

Tuesday Ted attended the rifle meeting and I went to get my nails done.  In the afternoon, Sandy and Rusty came over for a visit.  It was cold and rainy so we just hunkered down inside.  

Wednesday Ted attended a presentation on what to do if you witness a gunshot and need to render aid.  He even received a certificate.  I straightened up, got dressed and went next door to play Mah Jongg.  I had put our Christmas dinner ham in the crockpot with great northern beans and that's what we were having for dinner along with cornbread.  But first I was invited next door to visit with my two neighbors to our right.  Ted chose to go to the left and and visit Marilyn and Ed.  With the lousy cold, wet weather, we haven't said hello to too many people yet.  But we had sun today and mid-40s so those suffering cabin fever started coming out.

After our tasty dinner we watched Amazing Race and then what the kids call "Daddy's dead people shows."  We were hoping the predicted weather improvement was really coming.

Thursday dawned sunny and warmer.  It was a vast improvement over the past two weeks.  Mimi and I picked up Coco and Dale to meet the group for breakfast.  There were about a dozen ladies present and I know them all.  It was a great time catching up.  

When I returned home I called Eileen to see if they wanted to run errands with us.  We stopped for gas and then hit Bed, Bath and Beyond to exchange a present, buy new salt & pepper shakers since I broke mine that match my new dishes.  Our can opener wasn't working right so we bought a new one and replaced a rug in the RV kitchen.  Next we deposited a check at Wells Fargo.  Then we went home and played a game of Mexican Train at the table outside.  

When they left for home we came in and had leftovers for dinner.  Another great day in the valley! 


No comments: