Sunday, May 22, 2016

Good Times and Bad

Thursday was just a day of exhaustion and Friday we prepared for our trip to Chicago for a HAPPY occasion.  We had a 7 am flight so we were up at 4:30 to head out in time.  We are loving our constant receiving of TSA Pre Check which makes the security lines easier.  I am sure it is our age more than anything.  We haven't caused any trouble in 70+ years so they think odds are good we aren't going to start now.  Whatever the reason, we appreciate it.

I paid extra for the exit row and we were very comfortable.  I watched the movie Revenent and the time passed quickly.

The wait at Dollar car rental was unbelievable!  The line was out the door.  I sat waiting for Ted and received a text from Kara that one of her very best friends who had been diagnosed with pneumonia died of a pulmonary embolism.  She was 51 and leaves 3 boys.  It is so hard to be a parent and not be able to take the extreme pain of grief away from your children.  They were scheduled to come to Chicago too but after last week in Florida they had decided not to.  Good thing too.  Such a sad situation.

Ted's sister rode over to the rectory with us from the hotel where cousin Fr. Terry is pastor, to attend the family party.  There was much story telling and getting caught up followed by some videos and DVDs made up of old family films and pictures.  What a great family they are and having been part of it for over 50 years is one of my biggest blessings.  We were pretty tired and went to bed immediately after arriving back at the hotel.

We had a terrific included breakfast Sunday morning and then headed to church for 11 am Mass.  Fr. Terry is in to music and the theme was God creates the music in our lives, Jesus teaches us the words and the Holy Spirit moves us to dance to that.  We had Doobie Brothers. Lennon & McCartney and a few others as music during Mass.  Sort of the same thing we get in Mission from Fr. Roy except he is into Country Western Music.  It was like being at a rock concert.  Ted, Terry, Carol and I were asked to carry up the Offertory gifts which we did gladly.

There was a lunch served outside in the courtyard afterwards.

The Keehan/Rogers/Sullivan group

I finally was able to enjoy the spring lilacs!  I miss them and always seem to be too early or too late to enjoy them.

Ted and his cousin Fr. Terry

And his cousin Dee 

In the courtyard of the rectory with Jay, Bill, me, Joyce, Mickey and Sharon.

Fr. Terry and his 92 year old mother, our Aunt Pat.  She is the last survivor of the 9 Keehan children and their spouses.

The most beautiful crucifix I have ever seen hangs above the altar of this parish church.

After the lunch we retired to the rectory where a more private gathering was occurring.  Eventually the family took their leave and mostly Fr. Terry's friends remained. Most of the family were driving back to Ohio.  We left for the airport and spent most of the time playing musical gates.  I know there were at least four changes. Our flight was ordinary and arrived a bit early.  We got the worst shuttle driver ever who appeared not to have a clue how to locate cars.  He actually stopped at three spots where no one on our bus had a car.  A woman got disgusted and told him to just let her off and she would find her own car.  We were the second last people on the bus and he blew past our road so I hollered.  He didn't even have us on the list even though I gave it to him when we got on.  Chuck receives a major FAIL.

It is good to be home!

No comments: