Wednesday, November 18, 2015

And So We Begin Anew

Success!  I finally slept in bed for the first time in a long while.  Trying to sleep on my side with nothing supporting my back sent my hip into overdrive.  It would only take seconds and I had to get up so I had been sleeping on the couch with my back up against the back of the couch.  That worked but I was anxious to get into my own bed.  The PT suggested I take my pain pill at night, not in the morning, and it worked!  I was not as stiff and sore so I didn't need that pain pill in the morning.  I can only pray it continues to work as my muscles get strengthened.

I ended my PT by taking a 15 minute walk around the neighborhood with Katena.  She discharged me and I am on my own.  Two things continue to bother me.  The muscles above the incision are always very sore in the morning but loosen up as I walk.  I think it must be some way I lay while sleeping.  The other is a hesitation before I take a step.  I call it getting my leg in gear.  Or as Michael Berry says on the radio "Time to lock and load!"  It may just take more time for all that new stuff to get firmly attached.  After all, they did saw the top of my femur off and shove a titanium piece down in it!

We have been getting ready for Thanksgiving company and dinner.  I put the suitcase racks in the guest rooms and made sure there was space in the closets to hang things.  Then I cleaned the refrigerator out and also the pantry.  Ted went to the grocery after I pulled out my recipes to see what I still needed.  Gerre and Barry are bringing the turkey, dressing and gravy so the rest of the meal is the easy part.  Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, corn, cranberry jello salad, rolls, pumpkin pie and cherry pie made with cherries we picked in Traverse City last summer.  I already have the table opened up with the pads and tablecloth on.  I sat the chargers and plates out and folded the napkins.  I will wait to put the glasses and silverware out.  Dusty crystal or tarnished silver is not pretty!

The weather report for Thanksgiving went from 75 and sunny to 75 and rain.  Friday is supposed to be rain!  I bought tickets to the Magical Lights show at Sam Houston Raceway and I am not sure how this will play out.  I am going to inquire about the ability to change the date in case the weather is just too bad.

Saturday night we went to church and then attempted to drive to Cracker Barrel.  It took us longer to get there than it did to eat our meal due to an accident and the traffic back-up.  When we came out it was cold, cold, cold!  I was happy to get home and get under my blanket on the couch.

The weather has turned unseasonably cold for our part of the country.  We had to turn our furnace on. My sister in law Carol has had a health issue but came home from the hospital on Sunday.  We took dinner over to them and stayed to visit.  When their kids started calling we came home.

Monday I drove myself to the hairdresser to get rid of my gray hair that is streaking through big time!  Cindy came in on Monday since she won't be working on Thursday.  Lucky for me since Tuesday will be busy with our company flying in that night.

I was busy Tuesday getting all ready for Kristin, Larry and Maureen's arrival later in the evening.  With the house in order, the groceries in, the French toast casserole ready for Wednesday breakfast we were off to a really busy airport where they arrived right on time.  And thus begins the holiday season of 2015.

No comments: