Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Great Weather Week

We opted not to go to the HitchHiker luncheon Monday much as I would have liked to have seen Bill and Judy.  I'm not sure they were going and we can stop by their park if we get the time.  Instead Eileen and I attended the T-shirt braiding class.  Eileen is in front in pink, I am over her left shoulder.  The T-shirt I bought had a curve at the bottom so mine turned out a bit different from everyone else's.  It gets pretty wrinkled with all the pulling and I assume after it is washed it will look great.  These are fun things you could do with grandkids, girl scouts, church groups,etc.



We shared DiGiorno pizza for dinner and retired to our respective rigs for me to watch The Bachelor and for Eileen to watch The Apprentice.  We all have our little vices!

Tom was having his motorhome washed so Eileen and I took the car to the nail salon and to do some shopping.  Ted took Sue from two doors down to the gun range to practice target shooting with her shotgun.  It was late afternoon when we all reconvened.  After a sandwich for dinner we went to the Clubhouse and had two tables of Shanghai with a few observers.  I hope we can get this on the schedule as a regular activity next season.

It was ladies potluck day on Wednesday so I made banana bread to use up some of the many really ripe bananas I had on hand.  It was going fine, Ted mentioned it smelled good and then nothing.  The electric went out on a circuit.  Ted managed to pull the breaker but he needed to go get a new one.  My bread was a half baked mess and I tossed it.  I figured I wouldn't go to the lunch!  Niles came down to take a look at the breaker and told me to go anyway because there is always too much food.  Sue stopped and asked if I wanted to walk with her so I did.  There wasn't a real big turnout but it was a pleasant time with my neighbors.  Eileen and Tom had gone to Mexico for her dental appointment.

Ted was meeting Don and Dave at 1:00 to shoot skeet so he planned to go look for the breaker afterwards.  He came home and after much fussing and fuming in such a tight spot, he got the new breaker in and secured.  Meanwhile I was finishing the very last row of my Swedish weaving afghan.  Tomòrrow I can corner Beverly at breakfast and set a time to get the rest of the instructions for finishing the sides and fringing the ends.

Our list for guests on Friday kept shrinking!  Four succumbed to the crud and had to bail.  Eileen and I went to breakfast with the group on Thursday and then came home to get the fellows.  We had several errands to run including Safe Lite glass cleaner from the nearest service center.  Ted uses their cleaner ever since they replaced a windshield for us.  Then we stopped at Feldman's to price Scotch to compare it with the Duty Free and Mexico prices keeping in mind there is Texas tax when you bring it in.  A stop at Walmart got me new pillow inserts to replace the crappy ones that came in our rigs' toss pillows!  No wonder I could never punch them into a square!  I never did identify just what was in there.

 

We all bought groceries but Ted and I were buying more for the meal on Friday.  When we came home I started cleaning so I didn't have so much to do on Friday and could concentrate on the cooking.  He went to a gun class of some sort at Niles site.

Friday was another nice day and our pulled pork meal went great, just with fewer people!  The fellows sat at one table, the ladies at another.  It was almost 7:00 before they went home so I think everyone had a good time.

We had turned down an invite to Victoria Palms on Saturday.  It was a good thing because I had a go round with my diverticulosis and spent the day on the couch recuperating from my bout in the bathroom in the early hours of the morning.  I was feeling better by bedtime and woke up Sunday feeling fine.

We had Fr. Speedy again at church.  Then Tom and Ted went to the gun show in McAllen.  Once finished there they came back for me and Eileen to head to the flea market.  Tom had his name sign refinished, had a new battery put in his watch, bought flashers for theirs bikes and filters for his RV furnace.  I bought a sympathy card.

We stopped at Wallbangers for a burger and then Eileen and I went to the clubhouse for bunco.  It is our last time to play this season since they changed it to every other week.  There was better flow this time and people are understanding better.  I have promised to send Ginger the sheets that I use for my group.  They have been in use for over 20 years and it is hard to argue with that success I think.

Ted is off to the gun range and I am going next door to Bentsen Palm Village for a fashion show and lunch.  Trudy is modeling and maybe I will see some former neighbors from the last several years.  

Our time here is drawing to a close.  It has been a marvelous two months filled with new friends and adventure.  San Antonio is our next stop but my brother Dan who we were meeting has had to cancel his trip to have a melanoma on his nose surgically removed.  Please remember him in your prayers.  It will require three surgeries in all.  Tom has not been to San Antonio so we will go but for a shorter period of time.  

“What is that feeling when you're driving away from people and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing?  It's the too-huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.” 
― Jack KerouacOn the Road











No comments: