Sunday, January 8, 2012

Success!

Kara completed her first half-marathon (13 miles) in 3 hrs., 28 minutes at Disney World this weekend. I'm not sure about times but I do know that they have a "sweep crew" and if you aren't keeping a 16 minute mile pace, off the course you go. By my calculations, she finished ahead of sweep time by about 20 minutes. Next month she returns for the Princess Half Marathon. What a wonderful husband she has who will stay home with the kids while she trains and flies off to Disney World by herself for the weekend!


Ted and I shared the kitchen on Saturday while he used his new Christmas gift crockpot for his pork shoulder. He puts the smoker on the deck for the brisket and both things were going at once.

I, on the other hand, was making more mundane things like yeast rolls, roasted peppers and lemon pie to go with our Saturday night meal. I made a great one if I do say so myself for my old boss, his wife and son. I left Hoechst Celanese in 1996 and we've remained friends all these years. They are at retirement "loose ends" and are trying to decide where to live. They have a son in Denver, one in the Carolinas and one here. They are returning in April and have invited us out to dinner so maybe they will have some news then.

We went to church early today because Ted is gathering up his banquet things and will be getting his brisket and pork ready for the first Skeet Banquet of this year. I'm going along to share in the banquet and just watch Ted in action. It does my heart good!

Health food may be good for the conscience but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better. ~ Robert Redford

1 comment:

Carol said...

Congrats to Kara! Oh, for the ability to do that again (did I ever tell you I USED to run - not anymore though!). I understand the dedication it takes to be able to run a 1/2 much less a whole - good job!