Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving Camping

We arrived at Rayford late Wednesday morning and Brenda & Rick had already arrived. We set up and visited with them along with Jay & Stella until Mike & Patrice arrived. We then all went to a restaurant that was new to me. It was a sports bar but had very good food.

The day was beautiful and we sat outside the rest of the afternoon until it was time for Rick & Brenda to leave. Later on we went to the rally hall to play bingo. Ted won $20, Jay won $6 and his grandson won $75. And I missed Survivor! I'll watch it on Catch Up when we get home.

I was up bright and early Thursday to get my cranberry jello salad made and my sweet potatoes peeled before I left to meet Jennifer for the 5K Run Thru The Woods. It was cooler than last year but not unpleasant.

We had our best time ever - 40 minutes. We were moving at a good clip. Ted picked me up afterwards and we came back to the park and I popped the potatoes in the oven.

Jay & Stella's daughter, son-in-law and two grandsons were here for dinner as well as a couple who appeared to be friends of Patrice & Mike. That made our table of 12 the largest group overall.

There was plenty of turkey, ham, dressing, potatoes, etc., etc., for all. I took some extra turkey after everyone had eaten and we had sandwiches the next day. Clean up is so easy when you only have your own plates, silverware and two serving dishes that are empty. After a 4 a.m. wake up, a 5K race and a big dinner, next on the agenda was a 2.5 hour nap. By late in the afternoon everyone was starting to stir and we sat outside some more.

Candy Bar Bingo was scheduled for Friday morning but Tommy & Susan came by and all thoughts of bingo went out the window. We were so glad to see them because it has been awhile. However, they will be with us next weekend at the Boomer rally. We had a really nice visit and I'm so glad they came by.

There was no way I was getting into the Black Friday shopping fray but by 3 pm the crowds were all gone so we went to Wal-Mart. I needed lots of greeting cards since my supply is about gone and we also wanted to buy our girl and boy gifts for the church Christmas tree. Ted chose a Rip Stick (sort of a fancy skateboard) and I picked up a baby with bed, clothes, bottle, pacifier, etc. We won't be at our church for two weeks so we can't pull an age tag from the tree but I'm sure they'll accept whatever we give them.

It started raining through the night and when we all left Saturday morning for Furr's Breakfast Buffet, it was raining cats and dogs. We had a very nice leisurely breakfast. We drove home afterwards to pick up the muffins for the bake sale. I grabbed the smaller pack that is for our luncheon instead of the larger package that was for the bake sale. We picked up the mail and then came back to the park.

At noon we took our mini-tool set up for the auction, the muffins for the bake sale and the bag of cut up carrots, celery, onions and potatoes that I had prepared to go into tonight's hobo stew. The rain continued all afternoon so it was a good time to watch TV, nap a bit and just take it easy.

The hobo stew was great and there was a nice crowd in the rally hall. After we ate, the auction items were raffled off but we didn't win anything. Over $500 was raised for charity and everyone agreed it was a nice sum. We head for home tomorrow and will be there for a few days before heading to the Boomer rally. Chris will get whiplash with this revolving door approach to house sitting.

Tucker has been no problem. He has taken over Ted's recliner next to me while Ted is relegated to the couch. He is definitely a lady's dog. He wants to be by me all the time.

"Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving.” ~ W. T. Purkiser

1 comment:

Kristin said...

That is so funny that a little doggie kicked a person as big as Daddy right out of his own chair!