Friday, March 18, 2011

Back to First Class

Ted had to travel to Dublin, GA this week which necessitated a flight to Atlanta. He was a Platinum member with over 3,000,000 miles on Northwest while he worked but as his career wound down he went to Gold, to Silver then nothing. Our last first class upgrade was our trip to Michigan for Thanksgiving in 2008. We figured that was our swan song.

When Delta and Northwest merged, he received a letter saying they would honor his "million-air" status and gave him Silver status for life. He was delighted to get upgraded to first class to Atlanta on Tuesday. However, he didn't make the cut on Wednesday when he came home. He did get the first aisle seat in the bulkhead which gives him plenty of legroom and allows him to get off quickly. He enjoyed his Technical Service meeting because he doesn't see these folks often even though they have a conference call every Tuesday morning. I think he likes keeping his finger in the business.

I played Canasta and came in second on Monday. I had some really good cards and partners. I didn't miss first place by much! Maybe my playing or my luck is improving.

We had a funeral at church on Tuesday so I took four pounds of meatloaf and stayed to help serve and clean up. Sue has promised us a meeting to get a better handle on just how much food we need. We end up with way too much and then the clean up is so much harder, not to mention the waste. We send most of it to the firehouse across the street. Instead of dealing with leftovers, I chose to bring the 16 tablecloths home and washed them. I have to take them back to church today.

Ted picked up Tommy, our photographer friend, to take him to the country club. He wanted to 1) know where he was going and 2) check out the area and lighting of the room we'll be in for the anniversary brunch. He will come after we eat to take some photos of the momentous occasion. This is Ted's third brother to celebrate his 50th anniversary. We'll be up next in four years since we'll celebrate our 46th on Easter Sunday this year. Tommy is such a good friend and we're delighted he has agreed to do this for our family.

I walked with Gerre twice this week. We're getting ready for the Blue Bell Ice Cream Fun Run in Brenham the second weekend in April. We still do the 1K trail five times even though we think it is not a full kilometer. As we get closer, we'll do a sixth kilometer which will get us closer to the three miles we do in the competitions. I know the weather will be warmer and we have a little hill to navigate so this next run will test our mettle for sure.

I'm off to the shopping center to get a going away gift for some folks heading back to Oklahoma. There is a Texas Y'all store in the mall and I'm looking for a Texas flag wine gift bag to put a bottle of wine into. We'll all miss Maria and Dan but they are from Oklahoma so this move is going home for them. The turnover rate in our township is constant. Many who go away to such exotic places at Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Chad, Malaysia, etc. move back here until they are sent off again. It makes for some very interesting furnishings in the houses I visit.

We're down to less than a week for our company to arrive. I'm going to clean out the refrigerator and then go to the store to stock up and I'll do laundry one more time before they come. I bought the hanging baskets. It is Day Three and they are still alive!! Tomorrow the windows get washed and the driveway and walk power washed.

We're almost ready!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

You are always so busy, but when you have time would you share your meatloaf recipe with me? I need new ideas. Thanks!