Saturday, August 6, 2022

Delayed Ferry Trip to Dauphin Island Due to Rain, so Plan B

We planned to leave for Fort Morgan in the morning but a hard rain shower right before dawn caused us to check the weather.  We were going to tour the fort and take a ferry ride across Mobile Bay to Dauphin Island.  Showers were predicted so we shifted gears.  

We chose a leisurely morning then the guys went to look at trucks and Lee and I went to Chico’s. She bought an outfit and I bought 4 tops.  They all went to the pool afterwards but I stayed behind to make dinner. We had two kinds of brats - Cincinnati ones and Shipshawana ones, German potato salad, corn (before it got old), baked apples and cole slaw. Lee made a cherry pie but we were all too full to eat it. 

We decided to ride to FL to buy mega lottery tickets because AL doesn’t sell them.  On our way back we drove along the beach - so pretty and wide!   Beautiful white sand. We used our detective skills to find our friends’ spot they purchased in Belle Terra. We knew they were back in Houston, they had a pull thru spot, a pavilion was just about completed and a Margaritaville sign gave it away!  Nice place!  It was dark when we got home and I was in bed early again. I can’t get used to this fatigue!  



Next morning Haulin’ HitchHikers alumni from our days owning a HitchHiker, Judy and Greg, picked us up for breakfast. We had a nice meal and left for their house for a longer visit.  Lee and Ira were taking a day of rest when we returned and we were going to church later so we didn’t go anywhere until it it was time for church.  It was a speedy service!  We ordered a pizza and picked it up on the way home.  

We were set to give the Dauphin ferry a try Sunday morning but they posted they were running with only one ferry.  That meant waits would be 1.5 hours apart.  So we chose to just go to Fort Morgan and visit the fort and museum.  We were all interested in how important this port was in several wars.  I had never thought of it as important in the civil war but it was.  We drove back to the beach and admired the white sand and I walked along the edge.  Everyone waited for me.  

I don’t recall doing anything particular on Monday and Tuesday.  It had rained a bit off and on.  We ate at the picnic table on Monday and at Paula Dean’s on Tuesday.  It was laundry, cleaning, wind down time for both families.  



We left early the next morning and drove to Lafayette, LA to a KOA.  We had $25 in earned credits and it was in a good location so we opted for that.  Nice park, long pull thru and easy maneuvering around the park.

Today is Thursday and we arrived home about noon.  Sara had our spot empty and waiting for us.  It was 100 degrees.  We started getting things together that needed to come home, then all our clothes and shoes.  After two trips packing and loading, then putting away at home, we opted for a sandwich from Jack in the Box and headed for home.

We will go early in the morning to start washing the motorhome before the sun gets too hot.  My biggest job will be emptying the refrigerator and freezer.  Once I have transferred it at home I will go back and clean the fridge and empty the pantry of things that cannot stay.  Canned goods, some spices and vinegars, pasta, sugar, flour, etc. can be left for our next outing.  

Nancy brought our mail.  She said I had a lot of cards!  They were mostly graduation thank yous but one wedding and a party invitation that happened in our absence.


I balanced my check book, got my calendar in order,  and called it a day.  I took a shower, washed my hair and settled in to finally see my red hot Astros!  

Friday was a day of hard work.  Ted washed the entire motorhome while I emptied the refrigerator and cleaned it, took all our clothes, that don’t stay, home.  And went through the medicine chest to take home what we needed.  Shampoo, band aids, sunscreen, etc. gets to stay.  Then I cleaned the inside.  

This morning I looked at my travel figures.  We went 3290 miles driving the motorhome and spent $1857 on fuel using our TSD card for an average mile cost of 56.5 cents.  Many people ask about fuel costs even when they aren’t crazy high!  It is what it is.  Campgrounds are right up there with the crazy high stamp!  $45-80 a night.  Our saving grace was 31 days at the Oakland County MI park for $713.  Helped sitting still for those dates too so no fuel purchased until we left.  


Time to put the old girl back in storage until our next adventure!




No comments: