Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Another Trip Along the Coast

Monday I went to see “Where the Crawdads Sing.”  I had read the book, enjoyed it but it ruins the suspense when you know the ending and they changed it a bit in a way I didn’t like.  Irene, Linda and I were a bit dismayed at the $70+ price tag for 3 senior matinee tickets, a large popcorn and 3 cokes!  Zero inflation my *ss!

Tuesday we met Tommy and Susan for lunch at House of Lasagna south of us.  My dismay meter dinged again when the vegetable lasagna and the dishes the others ordered included either a salad or bowl of soup.  They were out of both 15 minutes after they opened!?!  They finally decided they had small side salads which turned out to be a small plate of lettuce with one very thin slice of tomato!  I was batting a thousand.

Nancy and I went to the community college to sign up for some fall classes.  It seems the social scene is in no hurry to resume so I decided to channel my interest along a different line.  I packed in earnest for our Thursday departure when I returned home.

We drove to Crestview FL to spend the night.  We had a Cracker Barrel gift card so we chose to eat there since one was close by.  Ding! Ding! Ding! again on the dismay meter.  Ted ordered a bowl of chili with cheese and onions on top.  The chili came with cheese accompanied by a plate of onion slices so he had to cut them up himself to add to the chili!  He asked for a soup spoon and was advised it was in the rolled up napkin. It was a long handled iced tea spoon!  My chicken and dumplings should be reversed to dumplings and chicken because there wasn’t hardly any chicken in a huge plate of dumplings, most of which were not eaten.  I hope my luck changes a but since I have two weeks to go!

We arrived in The Villages about 2 pm at the new home of our old Cincinnati neighbors.  We moved away in 1981 but have remained friends.  We toured the area because we owned a villa there from 1994 to 2006 and the growth is stupendous!  We had dinner outside on a patio in one of the “downtown” areas before retiring back to their house.



Saturday Margie had a nail appointment and Ted and Steve took a golf cart tour and then rode electric bikes.  In the meantime I got myself ready and arranged our bags and things that were getting messed up with searching for this, that and the other thing!  I brought food for the road, things for the apt. since I didn’t know what would be included, our Magic Kingdom day needs - ponchos, water bottles, Magic bands, etc.

We went to another downtown restaurant for a late lunch and then went to church at 4 pm and Margie went with us.  Steve claimed he prayed from home.  It was a very nice service and very good sermon.  We went back to their home for awhile then left for the music scheduled for that night in the town square. After a dance, we had ice cream cones and returned home to call it a night.

Sunday we said our goodbyes and headed south along the Florida Turnpike.  Our Sun Pass worked just fine.  We found Saratoga Springs Resort with no problem and were moved in quickly.  The MI folks plus Kristin were at the Magic Kingdom, Kara had arrived in the afternoon and was out getting her Owner’s Box stocked.  She will use what she needs, replace what she needs to then have it taken away until her next trip down.  She calls and the box will be delivered to whatever resort she chooses to stay at. 

Everyone showed up Sunday evening for a visit and my snacks and drinks cache suffered a serious dent.  


Monday people came and went until it was time to go for dinner at Chef Mickey’s at the Contemporary Resort.






It was a very interesting dinner with characters drifting through and stopping several times.
We left afterwards to visit Kara’s two studio rooms she had booked at the Grand Floridian.  One bathroom for four adults just doesn’t hack it so the kids had their own room.  The Grand Floridian is a gorgeous hotel and on the monorail but I admit I am liking my two bathrooms, a kitchen, LR, king size bedroom and a washer/dryer on the ground floor, at the beginning of the hall, next to the pool!  We are on a fairway on the Lake Buena Vista golf course and we even had visitors one morning.











No comments: