Sunday, June 5, 2022

And We’re Off

We left about 9 am on Monday and traveled to Texarkana, AR for our first night.  We had cheese coneys for dinner because cooking on the grill is out and so is a lot of other things.  Keep it simple!

I took a shower, laid down on the couch and that was the last thing I remember.  I woke up wide awake at 4 am.  I said my rosary, mapped out our route and chose where we will stop for fuel.  This was our first stop in Carthage on Monday.  With our TSD logistic card we saved 45 cents a gallon off this price.  I can look at the truck stops coming up that are part of TSD and see what our savings are.  

We left at 8:45 the next morning heading to Marion AR near Memphis.  From there we will go to the Mammoth Cave area of southern KY and finally Cincinnati.  We are taking our time.  No need to drive tired.  

The campground was very nice and we walked to the office and bought an ice cream for dessert.  

We have been leaving about 9 and stopping just about 3.  It is less stressful than the longer days we used to do.  Now there is no rush and we are giving ourselves more travel days. 

We made our way to Horse Cave, KY in the area of Mammoth Cave National Park on Wednesday.  Ted chose a spot that caught his eye.  Normally you have to go where they tell you but this one wasn’t reserved so they let us have it.  We are still eating simple things which is using up a lot of what I brought from home.  I empty the pantry, refrigerator and freezer when we leave then go shopping when we get to our lengthy destination.  We have 3 nights in Ohio starting Thursday.  I will probably wait until Michigan to grocery shop.  




We will get on the road whenever we are ready in the morning.  There is no big city to go through so no need to worry about rush hour.  Traffic is heavy, mostly trucks and the roads are terrible. I may need fillings put back in my teeth!  

We arrived in Cincinnati after traveling through some rain but it was clear when we arrived and set up.  I emailed my friend of 72 years and asked if she wanted to meet us for pizza for dinner.  She did and we had a nice long visit.  She came back to the park and stayed awhile longer.  I will see her, hopefully with other Mercy High grads, when we return in July.  

Friday we went to see my sister Karen who is in an assisted living facility for her Alzheimer’s.  I saw her last summer in Sanibel when her whole family had a reunion.  

It was so good they did that because she went down hill quickly and her husband died in October.  Even then she didn’t seem so bad at his funeral.


I was so concerned she wouldn’t know me.  But as soon as she saw me she burst into tears and hugged me so tightly.  She said “I didn’t know if you would come.”  She tries to talk but usually can’t find the words which leaves everyone frustrated.  Her two daughters, son in law and grandson came by and she was very content to listen to the conversation around her.  I think she understands but can’t find the words to say what she wants.  I I did not know how she would react when we left.  We walked her to the dining room that we were not allowed to enter and when she was seated I thought she would like up to wave goodbye.  She started to eat and was not the least concerned we we leaving.  She probably already forgot we were there.  

We stopped at Whiskey’s  in Lawrenceburg for dinner and went to see Downton Abbey.  The next day was the funeral for Denis Sullivan, one of 31 Keehan cousins, the 6th one to have passed away.  

No comments: