Sunday, May 29, 2022

Preparing to Hit the Road

The yard work is done except for one metal strip that needs to be added. The rusty old one, used in a curve of our paver brick walk, was the impetus to have all the other work done and it still is not in. I had a go round with the stone mason who wanted to skip the stone border and just have grass to hold the pavers in that area.  I said no, the grass will not be firm enough in rainy conditions, the outside pavers will start moving and then the whole walk will follow.  Ted finally came out and said to finish the stone border.  Now it is a curve and these stones when chiseled have basically straight lines so there is a 3/4 inch gap between the pavers and the border stone, thus the need to add the metal strip back!  It is supposed to go in Monday after we leave so Nancy will be checking to see it gets done and watch how it holds in heavy rains.  

A new rain sensor was installed and all the sprinklers checked out.  Some had to be moved because watering my neighbor’s house, our rocks and sidewalks really isn’t helpful … not to mention expensive!  I hope this all lasts for another 20 years!  My ajuga plants and hostas are still growing!  

We made plans to meet Tommy, Susan, Jay and Stella at Saltgrass on Tuesday for lunch before we leave.  Tommy is on the liver transplant list and Jay and Stella are having minor mobility issues and are using canes on bad days.  Our RVing friends able to travel are dwindling.  Tom and Eileen sold their motorhome last summer after our trip was over.  Our Texas Boomers club has run up into some leadership problems and I can see that losing momentum too.  

Nancy is still at the Residence Inn while their house project is finishing up.  She invited me to come to their “dinner” held MTW evenings in the lobby.  It is not a bad set up.  Then on Saturday morning I joined her for breakfast.  Again, a nice spread.  I am sure she is bored a good bit of the time and it gave us a chance to catch up.  

Wednesday I had my nails done and we had our hair cut Thursday.  We should be good into July.  Ted was checking tires, water in batteries and whatever else he needs to do before we take off.  All of our toiletries and meds are out there now along with all my clothes.  

Friday I met Judy for lunch.  She has had breast cancer and colon cancer so she was the first one I called about the Cologuard positive result.  She actually had several feet of intestines removed.  I didn’t want anything to be wrong but if there was, my biggest concern was what would they do and how quickly would I heal!  This trifecta of rotten years screwing with my traveling was getting old quickly.  Ted said I told the doctor “I could kiss you” when he said there was absolutely nothing wrong in my colon!  Praise the Lord!  

We went to church as usual and when Ted came out of our neighbor’s house, Jeanette followed him with two pieces of carrot cake she made to say thanks.  We made arrangements with another couple who brings Communion to Nancy’s neighbor to include our friends over the summer.  

Today we moved the motorhome to the campground.  I have the pantry items in grocery bags ready to go.  Once we are set up I will get the fridge and freezer items to take over and put away.  That leaves Ted’s clothes and our “things to return to the motorhome bag” to go over and we should be good to go.  We will sleep there tonight and head to Texarkana, AR for our first stop.

We got everything moved into the motorhome, battened down the hatches at home and let it in Nancy’s capable hands.  We ate at Crust Pizza, shopped some at H‑E‑B, and came “home” to sleep in the motorhome for the night so we can leave early in the morning.  



No comments: