Monday, March 9, 2020

Starting to say So Long!

Our weather continues to be most pleasant as we took a scenic ride aboard The Dreamer from the Riverside Club on the Rio Grande.  There were about 30 Retama ladies so we pretty much filled the boat.  Unlike my last trip northbound, this one traveled southbound toward the dam and highlighted many entertainment venues on the Mexico side. I was delighted when as we returned it passed up Riverside and proceeded to travel north along the new wall up to the pump station.  I knew immediately that I had to make a reservation for Irene and John.  We thought there were no trips available in the weekend that included the wall.


After we all placed our lunch order I went to the bar and was able to book seats on a 1:00 trip for Saturday for John and Irene.  Since we have both taken various trips on the Dreamer we elected not to go because seats are hard to come by due to the interest in the wall, so we left space for others.

Monday evening we were invited to Sue’s to welcome Dortha and Mark back visiting. I made a Waldorf salad when I returned from the boat ride.  The first spot we rented in Retama was Mark’s back in 2012 or so.  They subsequently bought a port home, eventually sold it to Sue and Niles and moved to Fort Worth.  We moved across the street to 4012 and except for one year down the street, that has been our winter home.

Tuesday was mahjong and I won two games!  Jokers are such a blessing.  When I arrived home my phone started dinging with a group message.  Niles wanted to go to Pizzeria for dinner.  Ted had not started anything and I hadn’t given dinner too much thought, so we piled 6 of us in the Expedition and met the other 6 for another gathering.

Wednesday I intended to do laundry and had it all sorted but Ted wanted to go shopping for shorts.  So we left and the laundry would wait.  We were invited to dinner by Trudy and Don to thank us for all the rides and the shooting instruction Ted has given Don so we had to get dressed for dinner as soon as we returned.  They took us to LaCosta, an upscale Mexican place that did not specialize in Tex-Mex but rather upscale cuisine. They ordered Shrimp/octopus/fish in sauce.  Presentation was beautiful but I didn’t want to order something I had no idea if I would like.  So I had grilled tilapia, green beans and red cabbage.  A terrific WW selection.  My meal was pointless!  Ted, of course, had a ribeye steak that he said was excellent with green beans and onion rings.   To celebrate the end of another Retama season because Don and Trudy were leaving Thursday morning, we finally stopped at the Homemade ice cream place.  I had one scoop of cheesecake with raspberries ice cream in a cup which made my pointless dinner right about on target.

Thursday I was picked up by Teresa and Mimi to go to breakfast.  There were 10 of us but you only can talk to those right next to you and across from you.  When we returned Ted had left to go shooting so I packed up my soap, quarters and laundry and headed to the washateria for the last time. By the time I returned in an hour and a half Ted was home washing his truck and waiting for my car so he could wash it too.

Friday we stayed close to home waiting for John and Irene.  Ted was shooting at the range and I was at the clubhouse playing mahjong.  Ted had returned before I did and our company came in right behind me.  They had checked into the Hampton Inn already so we left for the fish fry at Mission West.  We had a bit of a wait but we all agreed it was worth it.  We told them we were going to do exactly what we normally do while down here so they got a flavor of our winters.  So we stopped at the ice cream place again! Afterwards Ted drove us down to the wall so they could see it up close.  We drove through Bentsen Palms next door and around Retama.  After visiting they headed for the hotel, we had a full day planned for Saturday and after their drive they were tired.

We picked them up Saturday morning and headed to DonWes flea market.  John wanted a leather wallet, Irene wanted playing card racks for her many card groups and I bought a mahjong set as a thank you for our neighbor who takes care of our house.  After strolling around a bit we headed back to our place where we had lunch I had prepared and visited until it was time for the boat ride.  We drove them to Riverside and used the hour they were gone to go to Walgreen’s.  We were back right before they returned.

We all left for church at 4:00 and Fr. Roy was in rare form because directives had come down on changes due to the coronavirus.  The first thing I noticed was the holy water fonts were empty.  He said he was going to fill them with Jose Cuervo tequila since the alcohol would kill any germs but he was afraid the neighbors might want to come bless themselves too much.  No holding hands at the Lord’s Prayer, no hand shaking at the sign of peace and no wine at Communion.  Fr. Roy said he was just glad there was no Lone Star or Shiner virus!

After Mass, we had two hours until show time so we drove to Alton, TX to Golden Chick.  We love the chicken there and I can have a roasted breast and fresh fruit!  Another pointless meal except I eat their yeast roll for probably 4 points but it is worth it.  We all enjoyed our meal.

Our entertainment was Spittin’ Image, a set of identical twin men who were hilarious.  Their music was very good and varied but their jokes and interaction with the audience was outstanding.  I have never seen John and Irene laugh so hard.  She said she would love to hire them for a private party!  They continued laughing just talking about it all the way home.

Sunday morning we headed to Mexico.  First up was my weekend concession, a cinnamon roll from Renee’s bakery with coffee.  We split up walking there because John was looking for a wallet and we ladies were just browsing.  By the time we met up at the restaurant, Ted had eaten his pastry.  John and Irene had eaten breakfast at their hotel so just had a drink.  The mariachi band was playing too; we didn’t know if they would on Sunday.

We left, but our stopping and looking was too much for the guys so they went to pick up John’s wallet.  He had his whole name put on it!  Then they went to Poncho’s and were on their second beer and margarita by the time we girls wandered in.  Irene bought two slide and earring sets, one for each of us.  I told her that was not necessary but she insisted.

We came home and looked at two coach house lots for sale, both belonging to our friends, Niles and Mark.  Irene calls them she sheds!  Mark has his lot rented to Mitzi and Ron and now lives in Fort Worth though he was here visiting last week.  Niles bought Mark’s house so now his lot and motorhome are for sale.  It seems there is a lot of “musical housing” going on!

Then we played a game of Shanghai.  Despite getting a Shanghai, I lost, coming in third in a race of four!  We had a B1G1F credit in our pizzaria account so we opted for hand tossed pizza for dinner.  We visited a bit more when we got back from the restaurant before our guests left to get a good night’s sleep before heading home.

It was a terrific weekend and I know they had a great time because when they got in the car John said they would come back next year!













No comments: