Thursday, March 19, 2020

Home Again Jiggidy Jig

We were home around noon Sunday, but once again we got separated and ended up arriving separately at the campground.  Ted was parked and hooking up the electric and water when I arrived shortly after him.

I immediately started unpacking the refrigerator and freezer so I could leave it open to dry out.  We loaded both vehicles and took it all home and put it away.  Nancy brought our mail and then followed me to the campground because she has never seen our rig.  I gave her the thank you gift (she refuses to take money) I bought for her.  She has taken mahjong lessons but she and her friends have been using others’ games at the community center to play and had talked about going in together to get a set just for their use.  She was so tickled and I was tickled she was.  After she left we loaded up one more time and came home once again where we stayed put.  I got most things put away and did four loads of laundry.

Ted left Monday to rewash our freshly washed and waxed rig AGAIN.  We drove home at one point in misty rain so he didn’t want to put it away dirty.  I went out a little later and brought the rest of the things home that needed to be.  So much stays there but our clothes, medicines, some toiletries, paperwork plus pantry and refrigerator items can turn into a lot of “stuff.”

Our cedar closet doors are mirrored and a strip of wood that allows the second door to catch the other had worked loose.  So going down the road, one was locked to the floor and the other was freewheeling!  We stopped at Camper World and they fixed it for no charge! Then we put it back in storage.


I was glad Tuesday morning that we had the RV put away and I could concentrate on just finishing up     around the house and start our taxes.  I spent all of Tuesday working on the taxes but I could not figure out how to post Ted’s 1099 for consulting.  I have used Turbo Tax for years with no problems but it couldn’t seem to decide if the amount should go on Self Employment or 1099 Misc.  It either appeared in both spots or went away altogether. No matter how I moved it around it wasn’t working.  I finally signed on to talk to a CPA who agreed that it was confusing. We determined though the amount was appearing in two spots on the worksheet, it was only appearing once on the 1040.  He said they really need to put an explanation on that.  Then he insisted upon staying on the phone until my taxes were finished!  What a relief to have that done.

Wednesday we worked outside removing black mold and yellow pollen.  The deck and furniture Ted washed, the front porch furniture and door I washed and waxed.  Then Ted tackled the courtyard.  The slate was absolutely black!  He spent a long time trying to buy bleach and or alcohol to no avail.  So he tried vinegar which many posts said works well.  I made a roast for dinner but we ate sandwiches instead so it will be tonight’s dinner.

So we finally felt like we were in a good spot.  I tackled the rest of the mail - my sister in law’s taxes and Christmas cards!  I always do my SIL’s taxes for her and the packet was waiting for me.  I think it is awful for someone with one mutual fund and a SS 1099 has to file 8 pages.  And free tax preparation is not free!  Ask for that Schedule B and up pops a $50 charge.  She doesn’t know this, I just pay it.

Then I sat for a long time looking through all the Christmas cards that had come in after we left, which was a few days before Christmas.  I had several addresses to change in my data base but I took a good amount of time to look at the photos, read the letters and note the greetings written in the bottom, it was nice!  When they all come in December and everything is so rushed they get a quick glance so I really enjoyed taking more time with them this year and I will do so from now on.

Ted went shooting today with Tal, his shooting buddy.  It is outside, using his own personal equipment and they agreed to stay 6 feet apart.  Not too much left to do around the house.  I washed my combs, brushes and mirrors.  I guess closets are up next tomorrow.  I am not sure how much more time I can spend doing these types of things!  This too shall pass.


No comments: