Sunday, March 15, 2020

Our Last Retama Week


We kept our calendar clear because we had several last minute things to get done.  We returned to Mexico on Monday for our teeth cleaning appointment, our appointment was at 2:00 but we didn’t get in until 3:15.  Then we had a few things to pick up so I grabbed 8 rolls of TP because the rumblings had started.  When I opened my bag at Customs the guy said “really?” so I told him Costco was out!  I bet he realizes now I was ahead of the curve!

I received a message from Paul that the Hitchhikers group was meeting Tuesday at Mr. Gatti’s so we told him we would come.  We immediately ran into Ken and Susan Wilson before the others arrived.  We had a decent crowd but again you only get to talk to those right by you!  We returned home in time for me to play mahjong.

Richard was supposed to wash and wax our RV on Wednesday but he had his calendar mixed up, happens every year, so he was coming Friday at 2:00.  When we set up the Mobile Suites luncheon at Smoked Oak, the owners gave us a gift certificate for two meals and drinks.  We didn’t think we would have time to use it so when Wednesday opened up we took advantage and headed to Mercedes for brisket.  

Thursday is a blur.  Ted was packing up the coach house things, checking tires, caulking, etc.  I have no recollection of what I did!

I took off for the grocery early Friday because once they start on the washing of the RV, I can’t get out or in.  I only spent $114 so I didn’t do any hoarding but I know we stripped our kitchen when we left so there isn’t anything we are going home to.  Lo and behold there was Richard washing the RV when I returned.  I had groceries that needed to be put in the refrigerator so I insisted he stop until I had them inside.  We are pretty much used to the “manana” attitude but I just put my foot down (nicely of course).  

I played mahjong and Sue said Niles wanted us all to go to pizzeria.  I explained we had 4:45 haircut appointments and planned to go to the fish fry after because it was Friday.  When I got home she texted the fish fry was good with them and they would meet us.  We were on our mahjong thread so Linda jumped in and said they would like to come too which was fine.  When we arrived Peg and Mel saw us and motioned us over to a table they were at so 8 of us shared our farewell dinner. 

Saturday we pulled out about 8:30.  I missed the east turn off 281 because Ted left the rest area before me and I never did catch up to him.  So we were separated for about a half hour while I continued on and then went east into Kingsville.  I saw Ted go by overhead as I waited to turn on to the ramp to 77, so I caught up with him right away.  

We stopped in Victoria so we could go through Houston early Sunday morning instead of late Saturday afternoon.  We were told not to go to church because we are over 60 (way over!) but we did go out to dinner.

Victoria is the hardest city to get around.  It has 59 BR and 59 plus 77BR and 77 all neatly wrapped in a loop that I can’t remember the number.  We left with neither telephone so I got my GPS out to find gas at Walmart. Then we used it to find a Mexican restaurant because we hadn’t had it but once in 3 months.  I had nothing to go on except name and distance so chose the closest that was not a bar.  We pulled up to a Valero station and I was already looking at our next option when Ted noticed it was a full restaurant at the back of the property.  And it was very good!  We would certainly go back.

We spent the night quietly and we leave this morning for the campground close to home.  

No comments: